Thoughts on no till drill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Supposedly, growing rye in the fall will help suppress the growth of weeds, but this is my first year to go straight Elbon rye in my fall plots instead of wheat. I can say for sure that the deer eat it as readily as they do wheat and if it suppresses weed growth I’m all for it. It’s more expensive than wheat so we’ll see. Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	26662512
    What seed/acre rate did you plant? Did fertilize after planting? It was my first yr using elbone rye and was a little disappointed in the amount of growth. I used it in central OK and NE TX. Not sure if I have a soil PH issue or not. My summer plots when we get rain do great but my fall/winter plots arent very thick and lush, especially with the mild weather and solid rain.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

What seed/acre rate did you plant? Did fertilize after planting? It was my first yr using elbone rye and was a little disappointed in the amount of growth. I used it in central OK and NE TX. Not sure if I have a soil PH issue or not. My summer plots when we get rain do great but my fall/winter plots arent very thick and lush, especially with the mild weather and solid rain.
        I planted 100 pounds of elbon rye in that plot and fertilized it with 300 pounds of triple 13. It is an old drill site and I can’t remember if I put out bag lime or not but I probably did as I almost always do on a new plot. No soil test but I will in January. The location is covered in native iron ore gravel which in East Texas is topsoil with about 50% rocks. My usual procedure is to disc as little as possible and always make the last pass with my blades almost straight. Then I put out fertilizer, lime maybe, then seed, then drag it smooth. I pretty well get a lush crop every time if I hit the weather right. Use 150% of normal seed rate for a better crop. It’s only money !

Comment

Working...
        X