Thoughts on no till drill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on no till drill?

For context: We've always used the conventional method (discing, spraying, planting, spraying and fertilizing) for planting our 14 acre food plot in milo and oats. Its getting quite expensive to do all of that just for a food plot. I recently started reading about using no till drills and a crimper on food plots and how well they work, but I'm skeptical.

I'm wanting to know if any of y'all have thoughts or opinions on using no till drills, or have any experience with the process.

Here is a link to one of Grant Woods' videos in East Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHK...GrowingDeer.tv
    Last edited by DoubleSplitG2; 12-09-2023, 10:31 AM.

I’ve been using a Land Pride APS1572 “overseeder” for several years for food plots and winter pasture for my cows, and it does a really good job. I also do food plots for a couple local leases, and they’ve been happy for the 3 years I’ve worked for them.
    I’ve put out close to 30k pounds of seed with it.

Comment

I’m with you. I’ve been watching Grant Woods videos. I think it would work but the upfront cost is high. Also you need to get predictable rain which rules me out in west TX.

Comment

Do you overseed on top of the existing weeds and grasses with the Land Pride? Or do you still have to conventional method?

I've also watched several of Grant Woods' videos. The idea of reducing labor and costs while improving soil quality is very enticing. But i agree, its hard to bite with the price point of this equipment.

Comment

No till is a lot less work and quicker for sure and if you got funds to get one it’s a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSplitG2 View Post
            Do you overseed on top of the existing weeds and grasses with the Land Pride? Or do you still have to conventional method?
            If you’re asking if I till first, I have, and it pretty much eliminates any time savings. I’ve had really good luck just overseeding over existing grass as long as it’s not too tall.

Comment

I've never seen a no till drill in person. What's the difference between it and a regular grain drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                I've never seen a no till drill in person. What's the difference between it and a regular grain drill?
                The idea behind a no till drill is to leave the ground undisturbed. To my understanding a regular grain drill has a disc.

Comment

Here is a link to one of Grant Woods' videos he did in East Texas, if anyone wants to learn more about the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHK...GrowingDeer.tv

Comment

We are looking at a conventional. We feel we want some break up to get the lime and fertilizer below the surface. Lot of $$$ in lime and fertilizer to just sit on top and not get worked. Two of our crew are sugarcane and soybean farmers. Our North Louisiana red dirt gets hard when its really dry.

Comment

No till drills are heavier and have a cutlers that cut open a slot for the seed

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post

No till drills are heavier and have a cutlers that cut open a slot for the seed
                        Standard drills have either a single or double disc to open up the soil for the seed.

Comment

Standard drills have either a single or double disc to open up the soil for the seed.
                          No till has an extra set up front to help break through hard ground

Comment

I tried the no till method this fall but without the no till drill. I broadcast my seed into this standing crop, heavy on the seed, and crimped it. It looked very good, but it didn’t make a good plot. This a Green Cover Warm Season Soil Builder plot that was planted the conventional way that I broadcast into. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	26661666

Comment

After seeding and crimping. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	26661669

Comment

Working...
                              X