Cull this Spike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Javelin View Post

The study you quoted has long since been found false as the study they did at Kerr in the 1970s was full of inconsistencies and found to be not valid. Every new study ever done has shown spikes have the same potential as any other buck, and that you cannot determine the potential of a buck until at least 3.5 and even then its not 100 percent.
    Could you identify any of those new studies. Kerr's study is/ was still going on until the deer cwd was discovered and all the deer were killed. Do a little or a lot of research into the Kerr. There's probably more than you want to read. Kerr had the largest PERIGREED herd in the world. We can argue viewpoints all day and probably never agree.
    Last edited by Walker; 12-18-2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

If you need to shoot bucks then I dont think it would be bad to have him on the cull list. If you don't need to shoot bucks then I would let him get some age on him before making that decision.

Comment

For good reason kindergarten kids aren’t getting D1 offers.

Comment

I like this conclusion. Understand that a fed ranch is one that is feeding enough protein to have a very high fawn survival rate. $200-$300 a year maybe per deer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spike.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	26696793
          Attached Files

Comment

I would not; now, if you have excessive deer numbers and you got a good ratio of young bucks to old bucks AND you NEED to kill one then I guess go for it. However, that is a young deer and could blow up in future years
            Last edited by Beargrasstx; 01-25-2024, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X