Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of planters are yall using for foodplots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miket View Post
    Ended up buying a IH 510 drill. Looks like it will plant everything I need, except Im not sure about sunflowers. The seed chart doesnt show a rate for sunflowers. Been researching on the internet without much luck. Anybody happen to know if it will work? I know I can block off some of the holes to increase row width, but I dont see a way to control the distance between seeds
    Buy the manual off of Ebay. That is what I did and it is quite handy. I get parts for mine through Messick's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391484179414?epid=14058709949&hash=item5b264683d6: g:fuUAAOSwbYZXYYzw&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4L1fCgUBng DAeeL0NKt%2FYWhF55HVZqKSCulxBLm6Bqptr5mYc2rG5HS42u t%2FzATUEzvb6gi2DG1kvDYkTWz8vmBYoQeBpidNBFnKLGlVXd n2suQX%2F3Tq9gnhImm66EPzJQrarWvCHJH1rpHSuMmLLb4lXI 0yZSUK4bfTKuJ3HYuAvBiyMm8qlAzdxV14ML3%2BZuPLdHdPIp RRC3h1%2FJzKU3MajiKvnnfVwCwfWD6FlJ75yqQUT6yAryLDAg LDzD4HxKC88fXZRW%2BQQ0%2FyG7CwM2ZNUAer33ldcoL%2FU3 ll6nCn%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5aducCZYw
    Last edited by Radar; 01-02-2024, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Done did that
      Some of the springs were broken so bought 9 of them from Messicks. Everything else is good other than needing grease/lube. Did have to buy a rear remote/3rd function kit that should be here soon.

Comment

Done did that
        Some of the springs were broken so bought 9 of them from Messicks. Everything else is good other than needing grease/lube. Did have to buy a rear remote/3rd function kit that should be here soon.
        My tractor has the remotes from the factory, so no problem there. My drill is the newer model of yours, but possibly the same set up. The seed cups have three settings for spacing, the top one is for fine seed like rye or oat seed, the second setting will do cow peas, peredovich sunflowers and the third setting is for striped sunflowers or corn. There is a lever in the front of the hopper that adjusts the gates to let the seed fall through, that gives you the pounds per acre. The seed charts work out fairly well. Buy some real good chain lube for the chain drive, I have found the Mac brand chain lube from NAPA works good or the 3M brand that is wax based.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

My tractor has the remotes from the factory, so no problem there. My drill is the newer model of yours, but possibly the same set up. The seed cups have three settings for spacing, the top one is for fine seed like rye or oat seed, the second setting will do cow peas, peredovich sunflowers and the third setting is for striped sunflowers or corn. There is a lever in the front of the hopper that adjusts the gates to let the seed fall through, that gives you the pounds per acre. The seed charts work out fairly well. Buy some real good chain lube for the chain drive, I have found the Mac brand chain lube from NAPA works good or the 3M brand that is wax based.
          Thanks, it does appear to work the same, but my chart and book doesnt show sunflowers so wasnt sure. I am concerned it will put them too close together in the row. I can space the rows by blocking off the openings, but apparently cant control the spacing between seed in each row. I need to hook it up and see how fast they come out I guess. I do wonder if filling in some of the grooves in the feed wheel ( or whatever its called ) would space them out further.

Comment

Thanks, it does appear to work the same, but my chart and book doesnt show sunflowers so wasnt sure. I am concerned it will put them too close together in the row. I can space the rows by blocking off the openings, but apparently cant control the spacing between seed in each row. I need to hook it up and see how fast they come out I guess. I do wonder if filling in some of the grooves in the feed wheel ( or whatever its called ) would space them out further.
            I will take a picture of my sunflower chart for you

Comment

Hopefully these pics come out ok. I use an old Kawasaki mule and a bulk lawn fertilizer/seed spreader to broadcast seed and fertilizer then I use a utv/riding lawn mower disc to disc up the ground then I drag/smooth it out with a drag I built. The plot in the pic is the only one I have good before and after pics of and is just a 1/2 spot I was playing with. It has been hit all season and has deer on it everyday. It looks better now after the rains we have had the past few weeks.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                Hopefully these pics come out ok. I use an old Kawasaki mule and a bulk lawn fertilizer/seed spreader to broadcast seed and fertilizer then I use a utv/riding lawn mower disc to disc up the ground then I drag/smooth it out with a drag I built. The plot in the pic is the only one I have good before and after pics of and is just a 1/2 spot I was playing with. It has been hit all season and has deer on it everyday. It looks better now after the rains we have had the past few weeks.
                Looks good!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sflwr.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	954.5 KB
ID:	26684287
                  Here you go Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	sflwr.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	954.5 KB