Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of planters are yall using for foodplots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of planters are yall using for foodplots?

When I move out to my new property I plan on planting for deer, turkey and dove. Not sure exactly what I will be planting, probably sunflowers, milo, millet etc. ( will also be growing a garden again, but bigger than my little hand pushed seeder can do )

Been looking around a bit for used planters but its hard to tell which can plant which seeds. John Deere 71 seems popular.

I have a disk and tiller for the tractor, just need a planter

Are you talking seed drill, no till drill, or broadcast type spreader ? I try not to disc too deep if I don’t have to, usually only enough to have grooves the seed can fall in. An old type pull seed drill can be had pretty cheap but you have to till the ground. A no till drill is $$$ and I can’t (or won’t) afford one.

If I have heavy grass/weeds in a plot, then I nuke it with gly. After about 7 to 10 days I will disc it under. Then I set the gangs on my disc almost straight to “level” and smooth the plot. I then use my cyclone type spreader (three point hitch) and broadcast seed, fertilizer, and lime (if I need it). I then drag it smooth with my tire drag and pray for rain.

I eliminate the first step if the weeds/grass is not heavy.

Comment

I believe he's wanting a row crop planter. When I worked for a farmer the planters had different seed plates for different seeds. Just change out the seed plates. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        I believe he's wanting a row crop planter. When I worked for a farmer the planters had different seed plates for different seeds. Just change out the seed plates. Easy.
        Ah, that’s over my head. I know of them, but nothing other than what you posted.

Comment

Firminator!

Comment

John Deere B are great no till planters that can be bought for cheap. Very easy to use and easy to work on.

Comment

Old massy 31 planter works fine for most stuff and it was priced right

Comment

You could grab a broadcast seeder for pretty cheap and a drag and be in business. Or you could get with your county extension agent and rent a no till drill for a small fee.

Comment

I should have been more specific. I am looking for a planter to plant various row crops. Preferably a 2-3 row planter. I can broadcast certain seeds, but others need to be planted deeper and spacing is more critical. The firminator is out of my price range, though it looks very nice. I dont mind tilling/disking first. For the smaller seeds that a drill would be ideal for, I dont mind making more passes with a planter, as long as the planter can handle them.

Comment

I bought this grain drill for 750.00 and stuck another 800.00 in parts in it to get it up to par. I had to buy a manual for it off Ebay to learn all the adjustments. You can set the spacing by blocking off every two seed ports for corn if you want. I can adjust the depth and seed rate for most any type of seed. I have planted peas, oats, turnips, radishes, sunflowers and Sunn Hemp with this drill. I have found that when planting several types of seed together for a food plot ( oats and radish) it is better to the seed cups a little tighter to prevent the small seeds from falling through quicker.

When looking at a used one make sure the seed hopper is not rusted out and avoid any with a fertilizer box. I could never find a deal on one but lot of folks tell me they get them for cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill4.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	26616472

Name:	drill3.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	26616473 Click image for larger version

Name:	drill2.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	26616474

Comment

I can no till oats in the fall and sometimes peas in the spring if we get enough rain. This weekend I am planting my plots and over seeding my hay field in oats, about 40 acres worth and all no till.

Oats and turnips planted with the drill, last year.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Radar; 10-20-2023, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Dang, you stole that thing! It does look like that will work for most of what I need to do

Comment

We have looked at grain drills but the issue we've seen is that you still have to disk the soil. Currently, we broadcast our fields, lightly disk (1/4in) to dust the seeds in, and then run the cultipacker or drag over everything. I'm hopeful one of these days we can find a no-till drill to help cut our tractor time in half and help improve our soils.

Comment

On TractorHouse there is a few John Deere B no till drills for sale and located in Texas.

Comment

The drills have gotten crazy expensive. I just planted an oats/rye mix with the $900 3pt planter from tsc. We got some rain right as I was dragging it out and it was up in less than 2 weeks.

Name:	20231009_183126.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	673.1 KB
ID:	26618631

Comment

Working...
                              X