Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Range Finder Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range Finder Opinions

My ol Halo has started to become unreliable and it's time to upgrade. I will be using the range finder almost exclusively for bow hunting purposes both from elevated sits and ground sits. However, that's not to say I wont use it for rifle hunting if the opportunity arises. I'm fairly certain I wanted the red optics as it's annoying as heck trying to range in low light before movement occurs and you have to look to the sky really quickly to see the black output.

I think I've narrowed it to three options, in no particular order.
    1.) the Leupold RX-1400i TBR/W (don't like their 2 year warranty though)
    2.) the Vortex Crossfire HD 1400
    3.) One of the Sig Kilo models, just not sure which one.

I didn't find any recent threads on range finders so I was hoping to get a more recent look into these three or some others I should look into.

I have the Sig kilo 2200. The glass is great for low light and has the red optic you like. The only downside is the reticle is a round circle and would much rather have a crosshair. Another thing I have noticed is that it will not recognize 20 yards. It is either 19.6 or 20.5 for some reason. I got a pretty good deal on it but if I had to do it over again it would be the Leupold with DNA. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by jljjdye View Post
      I have the Sig kilo 2200. The glass is great for low light and has the red optic you like. The only downside is the reticle is a round circle and would much rather have a crosshair. Another thing I have noticed is that it will not recognize 20 yards. It is either 19.6 or 20.5 for some reason. I got a pretty good deal on it but if I had to do it over again it would be the Leupold with DNA. Hope this helps

That’s odd with the 20 yard dilemma. The halo has a square reticle so the circle wouldn’t bother me. But thanks for the post I saw it’s on sale at cabelas right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a +15 year old Bushnell that works like the day I bought it, other than the finish is sticky.

Do not, I repeat do not get a Leupold. I am a Leupold fan boi on scopes, but they have known issues on their rangefinders. Do a simple search and you should find plenty of stories.

I have yet to find any Vortex glass that was worth the $. I guess at bow hunting ranges it doesn’t matter though.

Comment

I had two Leupolds, both of them were 2 to 3 yards off at 30 yards, a measured 30 yards. My Nikon 1000 is spot on and ranges through netting on a popup without sticking your face to the netting.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            I have a +15 year old Bushnell that works like the day I bought it, other than the finish is sticky.

Do not, I repeat do not get a Leupold. I am a Leupold fan boi on scopes, but they have known issues on their rangefinders. Do a simple search and you should find plenty of stories.

I have yet to find any Vortex glass that was worth the $. I guess at bow hunting ranges it doesn’t matter though.

Yeah that’s what I’ve read a few times and I’m the same way, love my scopes. I have vortex 10x42’s and they serve their purpose for east Texas hunting but there is a considerable difference between high end glass and vortex.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I had two Leupolds, both of them were 2 to 3 yards off at 30 yards, a measured 30 yards. My Nikon 1000 is spot on and ranges through netting on a popup without sticking your face to the netting.

Thanks for that heads up that’s good to know!

Comment

bump

Comment

Upgraded my Nikon this year to a sig kilo 1600 with red display…. When I looked through it, I laughed at what I’d been using. Clarity is amazing for the price

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

I can vouch for the Leupold crapping out at the worst time.

Comment

Anyone have the Bushnell Prime 1300 or 1700 series?

Comment

Sig

Comment

I like my sig

Comment

I have the Cabelas branded Bushnell and picked up a Sig Kilo

Like Kyle said, the difference is laughable. Red display is a game changer for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                              Sig
                              Originally posted by Bowdacious View Post
                              I like my sig
                              Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              I have the Cabelas branded Bushnell and picked up a Sig Kilo

Like Kyle said, the difference is laughable. Red display is a game changer for sure
                              Which Sig models are y'all running?

Comment

Working...
                              X