Climbing stick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing stick question

I'm going to get the millennium 150 and was wondering what set of climbing sticks to get. Is it better to get the ones that attach to each other that make one long continuous ladder or get the ones the strap to the trees individually like rapid rails. I would like to use this setup on the Hagerman hunt once I get drawn. With that portability would definitely would be a plus.

Thanks for the help in advance.

One long continuous ladder

Comment

I like the individual sticks, lets you get around limbs and other obstacles and up trees that are not so straight

Comment

I like the individual sticks, and I always make sure to get the ones where the steps are parallel and not staggered. This allows for you to stand on BOTH feet instead of one while hanging your stand.

Little trick:
        If your sticks have staggered steps, set them where the last one is pointed away from your stand. i.e. If your stand is on your left, the top step would be on the right. This allows you to step "in" to your stand, rather than "up" on it.

Comment

1 continuous 20' stick.

The singles are great if you have help, but there are lots of ropes and tying off involved when doing the singles when you're solo. When I first started using them, I'd strap one, climb down, grab another, climb up, strap it, so on and so forth. That will wear you out and takes forever. With 1 continuous stick, once I leave the ground the first time, to start strapping the stick ladder, my feet don't touch the ground again until my stand is hung and ready to hunt.

Comment

I like rapid rails. I always use a climbing strap when setting up.

Comment

Lots to consider here.

How far are you walking? How much weight are you willing to carry? How athletic are you? How much do you weigh? are you comfortable at heights? What kind of trees do you expect to be in?

I've hunted with hang-ons and steps or sticks for a long time. Great way to be mobile and versatile. But given the choice, I'd use one continuous ladder if I could. Problem is, they are heavy, loud and you can't pack them very far.

If you're moderately to very athletic and you're not afraid of heights, get sticks. They give you more versatility and they are lighter. If you're not running the 40 in under 6 seconds and don't care for heights AND expect to be using straight trees AND don't have to carry them very far, the ladder is the way to go.

Good luck and be safe, whichever you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
                1 continuous 20' stick.

The singles are great if you have help, but there are lots of ropes and tying off involved when doing the singles when you're solo. When I first started using them, I'd strap one, climb down, grab another, climb up, strap it, so on and so forth. That will wear you out and takes forever. With 1 continuous stick, once I leave the ground the first time, to start strapping the stick ladder, my feet don't touch the ground again until my stand is hung and ready to hunt.
                why not just carry your steps with you as you climb up? there are normally only 3-4 sticks. I can set my sticks and stand up in less that 10 min and I don't get worn out doing so.

carry in a 20ft continuous ladder though a mile into the woods will wear you out. whether you make the trip once or have to go back to carry your stand in separately.

Comment

I like my Lone Wolf climbing sticks.

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellows. I will definitely do more research before I purchase a set. Everyone makes great points, it is just hard when you are not exactly sure what type of tree you will be hunting from.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse View Post
                      I like my Lone Wolf climbing sticks.
                      I do as well and use them all the time. I did recently find some I like better though that weigh the same maybe even a little less and have sticks on both sides- cheaper as well.
                      check out the HAWK Helium sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
                        Thanks for all the input fellows. I will definitely do more research before I purchase a set. Everyone makes great points, it is just hard when you are not exactly sure what type of tree you will be hunting from.
                        one single long stick can only be used in a straight tree with no branches in the way. they can handle a little curve and some small brnaches but the more you set them up in those situations the more you will bend them. and they are heavy.

with sticks you can get into any tree. and they weigh much much less and are packable onto your stand. its really a no brainer.

I do prefer the heavy ones if I am on a straight tree and don't ever have to move them as they are a little more comfortable to climb. but other than that I hate dealing with them.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                          why not just carry your steps with you as you climb up? there are normally only 3-4 sticks. I can set my sticks and stand up in less that 10 min and I don't get worn out doing so.

carry in a 20ft continuous ladder though a mile into the woods will wear you out. whether you make the trip once or have to go back to carry your stand in separately.
                          I've only used the rapid rails, haven't ever used then single sticks. I do see your point, and when I was using my rails, I finally had it figured out. But that involves several ropes tied to each section and pulling them up as I needed them. Pretty difficult to carry a whole set of rapid rails up with you when you're trying to climb, hang, and strap. The single sticks are lighter and more compact, so I could see taking them up with you as you climb and strap.

I tie my 20' stick ladder sections together with a rope and make a strap out of it so I can just carry them over my shoulder, so it's not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
                            I've only used the rapid rails, haven't ever used then single sticks. I do see your point, and when I was using my rails, I finally had it figured out. But that involves several ropes tied to each section and pulling them up as I needed them. Pretty difficult to carry a whole set of rapid rails up with you when you're trying to climb, hang, and strap. The single sticks are lighter and more compact, so I could see taking them up with you as you climb and strap.

I tie my 20' stick ladder sections together with a rope and make a strap out of it so I can just carry them over my shoulder, so it's not bad at all.
                            yeah the rapid rails are harder to juggle while climbing. most of the new stuff, is thin ect and you just throw the strap over your shoulder and it wont even get in your way.

ive used the 20 ft sections plenty. I hunt public land exclusively the last 10-12 years and have done a ton of stand moving, put up take down, hike in hike out type of hunting.

another thing to consider is the M150. that is a beast of a stand on its own. even with light weight sticks its going to be packing 35lbs. with stand, bracket and sticks alone.

Comment

My big arse doesn't trust anything but the stick ladders.

Comment

Working...
                              X