No announcement yet.

Help me pick an Elk arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll try to sit down and decipher all this jargon tonight

Comment

Ok so help me if I'm wrong here. I got the on target software and I'm still VERY new to this stuff.

I misspoke earlier as I have a 27" draw (short guy ). So my current set it up as follows;

27" Gold Tip exp hunter 5575 arrow. 367.6gr with a 100gr head. This looks to be overly stiff according to the program (I'll post pictures in a following post).

My idea is to keep the same arrows and add a 100r weighted insert and a 125r head. This will bring my total weight up to 478 and my FOC to just over 20. This allows falls close to the 'good" range on spine.

Please let me know if my thinking is wrong or if this would work. Or with any better ideas

Again if I'm way off I'm sorry I'm new to this type of stuff. I was in the "buy those random arrows at academy" crowd lol
      Last edited by JustinJ; 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Current setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422421239.500008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	24360157

Proposed setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422421249.917255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	24360158

Comment

In post 1 your draw is 28 in. In the last post you have your draw at 27 in

Comment

Go up another 25 grains in tip weight.

Comment

Help me pick an Elk arrow

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              In post 1 your draw is 28 in. In the last post you have your draw at 27 in

You are so perceptive!

Comment

I was getting ready to type another response, similar to what my friend Newman is alluding to.
                Look OT2 is a good tool, I use it sometimes but I've built enough arrows to know where I need to be. Be careful with it, it's dumb and can not read your mind....... Garbage in, garbage out. The software is simply going to give you outputs based on your inputs...... They must be correct and accurate. Small things like selecting the correct filter for the application can have a bearing on what it gives back to you.

Comment

Easton axis or fmj 400. The axis will put you around 400 grain with a 100 grain head and the fmj will put you around 430 grain. Both arrows will be fine for elk. Shot placement is key.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                    You are so perceptive!
                    Thanks. I try

I didn't see his post above the pictures haha. I'm a visual type of guy Pictures for me
                    Last edited by enewman; 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Yeah I wrote in the post above the pictures that I misspoke about my draw length in my opening post. The numbers I entered into the program are actual measurements or weights from gold tip.

What filter are you talking about?

Comment

Justinjanow

I was looking at my ontarget. I'm showing a little weak with your set up so one of us is off on some of the inputs. The good thing I'm showing weak about the amount your showing stiff.

So that means build that arrow that way. Buy some 100,125,and some 150 gn field points. And start testing. It all looks like your heading in a great direction. You will have the weight and the foc we are trying to get to.
                        I'm going to add. If you decide to change brands of arrows. Look at the blackeagle carnivors. At this time that arrow is one one the most consistent arrow as of spine and weight and straightness

Comment

Justinjanow

I was looking at my ontarget. I'm showing a little weak with your set up so one of us is off on some of the inputs. The good thing I'm showing weak about the amount your showing stiff.

So that means build that arrow that way. Buy some 100,125,and some 150 gn field points. And start testing. It all looks like your heading in a great direction. You will have the weight and the foc we are trying to get to.
                          I'm going to add. If you decide to change brands of arrows. Look at the blackeagle carnivors. At this time that arrow is one one the most consistent arrow as of spine and weight and straightness
                          Awesome. I've ordered some 100r inserts and I've got some different field points to try. Maybe my shooting will get better

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Look at alaskabowhunting.Com
                            they helped me get a great set up and they specialize in heavy arrows and EFOC.

Comment

19% FOC and 560 grains with a GT 75/95 tipped with a 100 grain Smoke Ramcat blew thru a 1000# live weight bull elk in CO at 38 and 44 yards and also blew thru everything I shot with them in RSA over the past years. Shooting 70#'s at 29" draw. Yes they are heavy but the momentum is high and they fly like darts, are forgiving and more accurate than the light set ups I had been shooting, PLUS the quietness of the bow is very, very noticeable.

Comment

Justinjanow

One more question. 214fps seems awfully slow but I assume with my momentum and KE I'll be ok. Is this arrow going to have a huge rainbow?

Comment

Working...
                                X