X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
    I believe ashbys conclusion was 650
    Yes it was 650 gn with foc of 19%.

I was designing an arrow for him that will do a great job. But not shoot like a rainbow.

So the best would be the 650 gn arrow. But he does not need it.

With all the study's done. We know that an heavy arrow penetrates. We know that an high foc penetrates. So. What is better. An 500 gn arrow with an 13% foc or an 500 gn arrow with 19% foc.
    Last edited by enewman; 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

I was designing an arrow for him that will do a great job. But not shoot like a rainbow.

480 with a coc would be a great arrow

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        Wow, great post.

One question and bare with me as I'm a bit of a novice here. With the weight limitations of a 60 pound bow, wouldn't he be better with a lighter arrow and adding weighted inserts to bring up both weight and FOC. I shoot Black Eagle Carnivores which are fairly light but if properly spined could handle the additional weight up fromt giving you the required performance numbers.

I built a spreadsheet that will calculate foc, ke and momentum by simply plugging in the variables. I don't have it on my work computer or I'd post it up. If interested, pm me and I'll send it to you.
        Yes. Build the weight of an arrow by adding tip weight. The only down fall to this is you have to watch the spine. It does not take much to make an arrow very weak.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
          480 with a coc would be a great arrow
          Yes it would.

Comment

With all the study's done. We know that an heavy arrow penetrates. We know that an high foc penetrates. So. What is better. An 500 gn arrow with an 13% foc or an 500 gn arrow with 19% foc.
            The one with 19% by a margin so small you couldn't tell

Comment

I would get a black eagle Renegade with a brass insert. Now you will have a heavy arrow with a lot of weight forward

Comment

Cool thread.........Archery Elk is my dream hunt.

Any of the above posters shot & recovered an elk with the setups you recomended?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  The one with 19% by a margin so small you couldn't tell
                  From 13% to 19%. Can I tell. Don't know. But from the years of dr Ashby's studys and testing. He says yes. Big difference between 13% vs 19%. So I don't test that portion.

Again the op was asking for a design of an arrow that would do the best job as possible. That is what I was trying to help him with. If he was shooting an pse full throttle at 70 lbs and 30 in draw I would have designed an 650 gn arrow with 19% foc.

Comment

From 13% to 19%. Can I tell. Don't know. But from the years of dr Ashby's studys and testing. He says yes. Big difference between 13% vs 19%. So I don't test that portion.

Again the op was asking for a design of an arrow that would do the best job as possible. That is what I was trying to help him with. If he was shooting an pse full throttle at 70 lbs and 30 in draw I would have designed an 650 gn arrow with 19% foc.
                    Yea I've read it all at one point just jacking with you. I've tossed it all aside for animals short of dangerous game though after taking several heavy boned and muscled plains game denser than elk with sub 500gr arrows and mechanical heads. A fixed blade would really fly through them with the same arrows.

He can't go wrong either way and might have a slight advantage with the higher FOC if he like to tinker with that stuff

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      Yea I've read it all at one point just jacking with you. I've tossed it all aside for animals short of dangerous game though after taking several heavy boned and muscled plains game denser than elk with sub 500gr arrows and mechanical heads. A fixed blade would really fly through them with the same arrows.

He can't go wrong either way and might have a slight advantage with the higher FOC if he like to tinker with that stuff
                      Not a problem. I like the teasing my self.

I do believe in what I'm writing from my experiance. But if the op is comfortable with his arrow now. I would not have a problem hunting with that arrow. I have killed a lot of animals with an 400 gn arrow with a muzzy leading the way. I still have my son shooting that that same arrow.

Im short so I need all the help I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                        So I'll be going on my first archery elk hunt in September and want to get set up right. I've never really looked too much into arrow choices and just bought gold tips from Academy and had them cut and threw a muzzy on the front. I was to get set up right this year, tune my bow, and get some serious practice in over the spring and summer. I'm also gonna look into getting some lessons as I'm sure my self taught form isn't the best

First of all here's my setup; PSE Brute w/ CCR string. Whisker biscuit and a TR React sight. 28" draw length set at 60lbs.

I'm looking for a relatively heavy arrow that will have sufficient penetration and want to shoot a fixed blade. I'll take either specific ideas on what to use or just information on what to look for. Shoot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422374361.000109.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	24360073here you go. 440 grains at 22.5% FOC. You could go up to a 190 grain head at 60#'s and still stay within spine. You would end up close to 490 with blazers and about 24% FOC.

This is what I do........"TAP".

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                          [ATTACH]689301[/ATTACH]here you go. 440 grains at 22.5% FOC. You could go up to a 190 grain head at 60#'s and still stay within spine. You would end up close to 490 with blazers and about 24% FOC.

This is what I do........"TAP".
                          The second one would be great for T.A.P. with his set up.

Comment

Not a problem. I like the teasing my self.

I do believe in what I'm writing from my experiance. But if the op is comfortable with his arrow now. I would not have a problem hunting with that arrow. I have killed a lot of animals with an 400 gn arrow with a muzzy leading the way. I still have my son shooting that that same arrow.

[b]Im short so I need all the help I can get.[\b]

With your short draw length :P

I'm trying too lol

Comment

I haven't killed an elk with it, but have killed many hogs with 340 FMJ's and 100-125gr heads. The arrows weigh 490-500gr and fly great. Blasted thru a 125lb boar at 65 yards on my most recent hunt. Hit the ribs on the left and out thru the shield on the other side. Used a "Solid" brand broadhead. Shoots just like field points w my bow.

HeliM
                              29"
                              70lbs

Comment

To Justinjanow

You are going to get a lot of deffernt setups told to you. All will work. It's all in shot placement.

Your arrow even at 400 gn with that muzzy will take any animal in North America. Again with the correct shot placement.
                                Heavy arrows do penetrate better with out a doubt.
                                I have never shot an elk, but I have shot a red stag . That arrow was around 425 gn with an Zwickey Broadhead with a complete passthru.
                                Heavy arrows are great for that once in a life time hunt and you make a not so good shot and you hit the shoulder. I'm thinking this hunt may be that once in a life time hunt so I would look to build me a good arrow.
                                Now with you shooting 60 lbs. I would look at an arrow at the 8gn per lb minimum. So that puts you at minimum of 480 gn.
                                You need to look at building an arrow with 19% foc or more. This will greatly improve the penetration.
                                The fmj arrow by easton is a good arrow like posted above. DO NOT USE THIS ARROW. this is not a good arrow to be building a high foc arrow.
                                Again we are looking at building you the best penetrating arrow for your set up. The fmj is not the way to go.
                                You need to get the ontarget spine program. This will save you money in the long run
                                Look for a good arrow with the correct spine according to the program in the 8.5 to 9 gn per inch range. And use the program and fine that arrow with foc above 19%.
                                Now broadheads. Again any good head will work even mechicals. Again we are building an arrow for that bad shot. So stay away from mechicals. The best penetrating head is an two blade. But you my not get a good blood trail.
                                If I was going on this hunt I would use the strickland helix. But any good cut on contact head will work.
                                Remeber no matter how good an arrow is. If your bow is not tuned and the arrow is not flying as perfect as it can be. It want matter.
                                Spend a lot of time getting the arrow to fly the best it can. In the end it will pay off
                                I agree with your concern with the inability to achieve higher FOC with the FMJ. And I also shoot Helix single bevels but my Solids fly just a little better past 50 yards. I just received 125gr Silver Flames and cant wait to start practicing with them, but I am using a new arrow set up with my new Obsession bow,

Bloodline 300's, inserts and bh giving the arrow a little over 525gr and FOC in the high teens. I have not hunted with this yet as I am still in the process of breaking in my bow and tuning it, but I think I will be very happy with it once I have it dialed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X