X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicely done, nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      Looks like Mudslinger, Jbarr and Hoyt21 are going to be reporting on some new setups with some interesting FOC.

I'm looking forward to the results!

Comment

I'm looking to increase my FOC too, it is currently only 9%. Shooting 54 lbs with a 29" draw and 29" Easton XX75 400 spines with 100 gr Slick Trick Magnums.

My total arrow weight is around 540 gr, but I found I can shorten the arrows to 27", losing 2" of shaft at 12 gpi and replace the 29 gr aluminum insert with a 50 gr brass one. According to what I calculated, I should end up with a little over 13% FOC while keeping the same arrow weight.

The brass inserts for my arrows are only available in 100 gr, I was going to cut them down to 50, but could try them around 60-70 to get it even higher, but then I'm going to lose some more speed.

Comment

FOC increase

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
          I'm looking to increase my FOC too, it is currently only 9%. Shooting 54 lbs with a 29" draw and 29" Easton XX75 400 spines with 100 gr Slick Trick Magnums.

My total arrow weight is around 540 gr, but I found I can shorten the arrows to 27", losing 2" of shaft at 12 gpi and replace the 29 gr aluminum insert with a 50 gr brass one. According to what I calculated, I should end up with a little over 13% FOC while keeping the same arrow weight.

The brass inserts for my arrows are only available in 100 gr, I was going to cut them down to 50, but could try them around 60-70 to get it even higher, but then I'm going to lose some more speed.

True!
          There's always trade offs in search of YOUR perfect arrow.
          But what penetrates better speed or mass?

I just built me done arrows for my recurve.
          They weigh 536 grains and are 32" long running 18% FOC.

Here's what threw me for a loop. I had the shop build me 3 Gold Tip Expedition in 7595. They were a crested arrow.
          They're full length with a standard insert, 50 grain screw in weight and a 125 grain field tip. They ran 13% FOC.
          Yesterday I shot some. Got tired of shooting 3 arrows than walking 20 yards to pull. I asked them to build me 3 more. They didn't have any expeditions left. I had them build 3 XT Hunters the same. They was lighter by 47 grains... We ended up using the 100 grain brass inserts. The we used as a guide weighed 536.5 grains. The one we mocked up weighed 536 grains. They built me 3. Now I have 6 for my recurve and 6 for my compound.

I shot Techno hunt while I was there. I had my bow turned down to 64 lbs from 68 lbs. they didn't have anymore 100 grain tips left so I used 125 grain tips. She seemed to like that. The arrows seemed to hit where I pointed it more consistently. I don't know if it was from turning it down or adding 25 grains up front. I didn't shoot it after turning it down.
          Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

If you really want to read a great article by a person that knows what he is talking about when it comes to speed or heavier arrow, read Randy Ulmer's article on page 26 of the latest Peterson's Bowhunting magazine. He puts it all in a couple of pages. The name of the article is "How fast should I shoot?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              If you really want to read a great article by a person that knows what he is talking about when it comes to speed or heavier arrow, read Randy Ulmer's article on page 26 of the latest Peterson's Bowhunting magazine. He puts it all in a couple of pages. The name of the article is "How fast should I shoot?"
              I didn't see it online
              I guess I'll have to buy the magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                I didn't see it online
                I guess I'll have to buy the magazine
                Try the "Full Draw" section/department of the magazine, that is what it is under.

Comment

We build a lot of FOC at
                  Our place so I have zero use for these puny aluminum inserts....... I mean does anyone really use these?

Comment

Yes I'm using them. I just use a 200 gn tip. On my 300 spine

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                      Yes I'm using them. I just use a 200 gn tip. On my 300 spine

MY FRIEND! I can make you a deal on these! Just think, you never need to buy any again!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                        MY FRIEND! I can make you a deal on these! Just think, you never need to buy any again!

What kind a deal?
                        They standard or Gold Tip?

Comment

Yes what kind of deal. 300 cornivors

Comment

GT Kinetic 200's are being fletched, 5" RW feathers, and cut, Vintage Archery footings are in (#1 will fit better along with the Bigfoot #1 secondary collar almost to the end of the Firenock SS halfout). The test is over, tinkering, playing and testing hopefully will begin very, very soon. I am actually getting excited about this since my test is done. Might get knocked down and depressed if I did not pass the test!.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              GT Kinetic 200's are being fletched, 5" RW feathers, and cut, Vintage Archery footings are in (#1 will fit better along with the Bigfoot #1 secondary collar almost to the end of the Firenock SS halfout). The test is over, tinkering, playing and testing hopefully will begin very, very soon. I am actually getting excited about this since my test is done. Might get knocked down and depressed if I did not pass the test!.
                              Sounds good so far

Comment

They are 19 series standards .2445". Let's do (10) dozen for 20 shipped. There's enough for both o you.

Comment

Working...
                                X