• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    Land or Tiger?

Whichever is the 175 gr

Comment

Well,
      Just left the bow shop. My arrows are to short to shoot 2 blade broad head like a DRT or German Kinetic. Brian's concerned with shelf contact..

Comment

Well,
        Just left the bow shop. My arrows are to short to shoot 2 blade broad head like a DRT or German Kinetic. Brian's concerned with shelf contact..
        I have to use o rings on my 26 in arrows and line the two blade up at 2 and 8 so they will clear

Comment

Well,

I put a lot of thought into my finished arrow length so the 1-9/16" Land sharks would clear. Didn't want to do what Newman did and the length put the spine where it needed to be. The tip weight, cutting diameter and length was all taken into account when I built the 23%er.

Comment

Looks my shaft length is going to be up around 30.5"

Comment

Can we discuss FOC and as it relates to traditional archery?

I just bought a recurve. I'm shooting full length arrows. They're a gold tip 7595. It's a crested arrow. I'm shooting feathers. Running a standard GT insert with a 50 grain screw in weight behind the insert. And a 125 field tip for now.
              My FOC is 15.789.
              I'm presuming that everything we've discussed applies. But since my draw weight is less I need less spine?

Is 15% FOC adequate for a traditional bow?

Comment

Can we discuss FOC and as it relates to traditional archery?

I just bought a recurve. I'm shooting full length arrows. They're a gold tip 7595. It's a crested arrow. I'm shooting feathers. Running a standard GT insert with a 50 grain screw in weight behind the insert. And a 125 field tip for now.
                My FOC is 15.789.
                I'm presuming that everything we've discussed applies. But since my draw weight is less I need less spine?

Is 15% FOC adequate for a traditional bow?
                15% is adequate for any type of bow, trad or compound. There really is no need to go crazy with either one. It is a matter of personal preference.

Lots of animals fall over grave yard dead from people who don't even know what FOC stands for. In the trad world, it is more about spine than FOC, which is still a by product of getting your spine right. You shoot on the front what ever it takes to make your arrows fly best, and FOC is what it is after that.

Comment

Pushbutton2: Lots of deer historically killed with that set up. However, research by Dr. Ed Ashby over decades, involving thousands of shots into game animals shows that higher FOC, like 19 percent, improves penetration -- especially if bone is hit. Further, among other factors, says total arrow weight needs to be at least 650 grains to breach bone. Also says, it basically seems that higher FOC to "ultra extreme" percentages penetrates even better. Reports can be found at Alaska Bowhunting Supply's website among many others. Point of all the heavy arrow building is to improve lethality when things don't go right. A perfect shot leaving the bow can become problematic if the animal moves while the arrow's in flight.
                  Last edited by tradtiger; 06-08-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    Pushbutton2: Lots of deer historically killed with that set up. However, research by Dr. Ed Ashby over decades, involving thousands of shots into game animals shows that higher FOC, like 19 percent, improves penetration -- especially if bone is hit. Further, among other factors, says total arrow weight needs to be at least 650 grains to breach bone. Also says, it basically seems that higher FOC to "ultra extreme" percentages penetrates even better. Reports can be found at Alaska Bowhunting Supply's website among many others. Point of all the heavy arrow building is to improve lethality when things don't go right. A perfect shot leaving the bow can become problematic if the animal moves while the arrow's in flight.

:thumbup:

Comment

This is a really good thread to learn from. I am just getting into bow hunting and had no idea about FOC. I thought anyone could go into Cabelas and buy arrows ready to go. The bow I am shooting is 61 lbs and 28.5 draw length.

For my arrows I am thinking:

Cabelas Stalker shaft at 29" (9.3 gpi ) 340 spine
                      Easton 75 brass inserts
                      VPA Terminator 100 gr heads
                      Blazer vanes standard nocks

With that set up my arrow (based on calculator) weighs 506 grs and has an FOC of 14.7%.
                      Would it be worth bumping up to 125 broad head? FOC would go up to 16.4% and weight up to 531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone to Texas View Post
                        This is a really good thread to learn from. I am just getting into bow hunting and had no idea about FOC. I thought anyone could go into Cabelas and buy arrows ready to go. The bow I am shooting is 61 lbs and 28.5 draw length.

Easton 75 brass inserts

With that set up my arrow (based on calculator) weighs 506 grs and has an FOC of 14.7%.
                        Would it be worth bumping up to 125 broad head? FOC would go up to 16.4% and weight up to 531.
                        take another 1/2-3/4" off the shaft length of 29" and you should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone to Texas View Post

Easton 75 brass inserts

I didn't run the numbers, but you may want to check out going to a 300 spine. Someone should be a long shortly that can tell you for sure, but when in doubt a heavier some us better then a lighter one I believe

Comment

Looks like Mudslinger, Jbarr and Hoyt21 are going to be reporting on some new setups with some interesting FOC.

Comment

Got some new shafts, GT Kinetic Kaos 200 spine, new steel halfouts from Firenock and will be starting the tinkering and testing after I get thru studying and taking my Special Education certification test on the 21st! My teaching job or potential teaching job depends on if i pass this test or not. No playing until the test!

Comment

Now I am shooting a 300 spine black eagle x-impact with a 175gr head 42gr outserts with 2" Blazers.

Arrows are finishing at 465gr with 22% foc

They hit like Thor's hammer can't wait to kill something.

Broadheads with be

Solid 175gr
                                And
                                Simmons tiger shark 175 gr

Comment

Working...
                                X