Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    Going to add a little more to my above post

Hoyt21. I think what you are trying to do is great. But remember the average arrow is 28 inches. The average weight is 9 gn per inch so that puts the shaft at 252gn average broadhead is 100. Most shoot blazers at 18. So total arrow is around 396gn. So for the average hunter that is what they shoot. And they shoot what ever they want with that. From turkey's to elk and everything in between.

Now from looking at this total post we have some people on here that are above that average(hope that doesn't hurt some feelings). Dr ashby tells you that the best arrow is a 650 gn with 19% foc with a 3to1 ratio. This is a bone breaker.

When I pick a arrow and I do change depending on what I hunt. Most of the time it's just the design of the head that I change. I pick some criteria. I want my speed to be no lower then 245 fps like it to be 250. Then I look at foc. I would like it to be in the 20plus range.

For me this has been in the 500 to 550 range. I have found for me that this works, and all I do is change heads. At this time I shoot zwickys. I have kiied just about every animal I've shot at the diamond c with that head.

I think muddyfuzzy can get you in a great arrow. The more I read on that blackeagle the more I like it. Muddy has some great prices also. And from what I see from talking to him he goes beyond to make a good arrow for someone.

Now all you got todo is find a good head for the nilgai. I vote for Strickland helix.

Yea my thing is bone contact I want a arrow that when it hits bone it shatters it to pieces. I like speed but love heavy arrows I can't find myself shooting deer or hogs with anything less than 420 gr. yes this arrow is still on the light side but it's worked great down here for me and the animals we have. So when looking to take a Nilgai I want a arrow right at or above 500 gr hopefully shooting about 265 fps. These are big boned animals and have seen them take a hit from a .270 like a champ. So I want this arrow to hit HARD. I'd prolly get the arrows cut to about 27.5" and hopefully get my foc up in the 20% range. Now as far as the broadhead will go well my addiction to archery will send me on a spree to test them all lol. And I agree a single bevel head will prolly be the way to go.

And as far as muddy goes you are right he makes perfect arrows and goes beyond to make his customers happy I know my wife and I are. And you better believe he will be building my Nilgai arrows for the hunt in May !

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
      Yea my thing is bone contact I want a arrow that when it hits bone it shatters it to pieces. I like speed but love heavy arrows I can't find myself shooting deer or hogs with anything less than 420 gr. yes this arrow is still on the light side but it's worked great down here for me and the animals we have. So when looking to take a Nilgai I want a arrow right at or above 500 gr hopefully shooting about 265 fps. These are big boned animals and have seen them take a hit from a .270 like a champ. So I want this arrow to hit HARD. I'd prolly get the arrows cut to about 27.5" and hopefully get my foc up in the 20% range. Now as far as the broadhead will go well my addiction to archery will send me on a spree to test them all lol. And I agree a single bevel head will prolly be the way to go.

And as far as muddy goes you are right he makes perfect arrows and goes beyond to make his customers happy I know my wife and I are. And you better believe he will be building my Nilgai arrows for the hunt in May !
      Just get you some cheap Walmart Arrows, I'm sure they fit the bill It being the arrow lol

Here's some bone breaking videos

Check this out.
      Last edited by Pushbutton2; 12-11-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        Just get you some cheap Walmart Arrows, I'm sure they fit the bill It being the arrow lol

Here's some bone breaking videos

Check this out.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iy6...U#action=share

Lol you know what I mean !

Comment

Comment

So push what arrow have you settled at , finished gr ect?

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
              So push what arrow have you settled at , finished gr ect?
              Goldtip XT Hunters, 340 spine, with 50 grains extra tip weight, 100 grain field points.
              452 grains avg weight. 14.946% FOC

Comment

I'm right about there foc wise maybe a touch higher at 430 gr

Comment

Aright guys, let me throw a wrench in the machine. Has anybody ever thought of putting wraps on the front of the arrow rather than on the back? The only reason I shoot wraps is that they're reflective and will help me find them. That being said, I have plenty of spine to do it. I'm currently even a lil over spined so that's of not concern. Just curious if anybody's ever done it is all.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlkCld View Post
                    Aright guys, let me throw a wrench in the machine. Has anybody ever thought of putting wraps on the front of the arrow rather than on the back? The only reason I shoot wraps is that they're reflective and will help me find them. That being said, I have plenty of spine to do it. I'm currently even a lil over spined so that's of not concern. Just curious if anybody's ever done it is all.
                    Not sure why you would want to do that because it would not add enough weight to dramatically affect the spine. They only weigh about 11 grains, and you can get insert weights or brass collars from about 15 grains and up.

There would be a negligible performance difference IMO. And wraps on either end are more cosmetic than anything. You can tune your bow with a non wrapped arrow, add a wrap and have no noticeable difference.

Comment

FOC increase

I'm not horribly worried about anything regarding spine. Just didn't know if anyone had done it with any adverse effects is all. I figured any benefit regarding FOC would be a positive. Otherwise my set up is already very much tuned.
                      Last edited by TXBlkCld; 12-14-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlkCld View Post
                        I'm not horribly worried about anything regarding spine. Just didn't know if anyone had done it with any adverse effects is all. I figured any benefit regarding FOC would be a positive. Otherwise my set up is already very much tuned.

I've never thought about it.

I've never used wraps.

My initial thought would be in regards to penetration. Would they add extra resistance up front?

Comment

I shoot micro diameter arrows so the odds of "resistance" are virtually nonexistent.

Comment

Adding wrap up front will not really benefit you much. It takes about 10 gn to give you around 3/4 to 1 % gain foc. That is going to depend on gn per inch on arrow. Also the wrap is long so the weight Foward is not at the tip so this will be even less foc gn. I can't see personally that it would be worth the money. For the little amount of gain. This is just my thoughts. I have never tested

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                              [ATTACH]677161[/ATTACH][ATTACH]677162[/ATTACH][ATTACH]677163[/ATTACH]
                              Built these for TBH'r BTGuard yesterday. Black Eagle Carnivores .300 spine. 458 grain total weight with 15.75% FOC. Not too bad in the FOC department considering that they are so long (only cut .500" off a 32" raw shaft).
                              That's pretty slick, Muddy...

You may have just convinced me to join your customer list next time I'm in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
                                That's pretty slick, Muddy...

You may have just convinced me to join your customer list next time I'm in the market.

The arrows look great. The shop still hasn't replaced the rest they blew up setting up my bow, so I still haven't gotten a chance to shoot them.

Comment

Working...
                                X