No announcement yet.

FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muddy can you let me know how that build turns out? I'm trying to decide between those and the rampage with an ss half-out insert and probably a 125 gr BH. Thanks for all your guys discussion new to bowhunting and between your conversations and Hunter's friends arrow university all these random numbers are starting to make a lot more sense.
    Last edited by Birdman7; 12-10-2014, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Which arrows are you talking a about Birdman.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
        [ATTACH]677161[/ATTACH][ATTACH]677162[/ATTACH][ATTACH]677163[/ATTACH]
        Built these for TBH'r BTGuard yesterday. Black Eagle Carnivores .300 spine. 458 grain total weight with 15.75% FOC. Not too bad in the FOC department considering that they are so long (only cut .500" off a 32" raw shaft).
        Good stuff muddy !

Comment

[ATTACH]677161[/ATTACH][ATTACH]677162[/ATTACH][ATTACH]677163[/ATTACH]
          Built these for TBH'r BTGuard yesterday. Black Eagle Carnivores .300 spine. 458 grain total weight with 15.75% FOC. Not too bad in the FOC department considering that they are so long (only cut .500" off a 32" raw shaft).

Those are some dang good lookin arrows muddy! Can't wait to get my hands on them. With my MR7. Shooting a 31.5" dl at 60' these should hit like a train in steroids!

Comment

They are on the way dude!

Comment

Which arrows are you talking a about Birdman.
              I was refering to the black eagle carnivores you just showed. I'm trying to decide between them and the black eagle rampage's.

Comment

I am not a real big fan of the half out design. Victory uses them on VAPs and they are prone to bend. Personally I would either go with the full out like the Deep Impact uses or the Carnivore with a conventional insert. You can build a lot of FOC with the carnivores but it just boils down to preference. Of the two you are looking at I would go with the carnivores.

Comment

As soon as I get mine I'll be sure to post up how they shoot. Imagine the FOC if you could cut 2-3 inches off the length. Having a long draw can be good but can also be bad.

Comment

So to add another dimension to this, at what point does FOC and speed balance out to get max penetration? I'm sure that at some point FOC gets so high (added weight) That speed drops to the point where penetration suffers. Any thoughts?

Comment

OK Muddy, I have the components to build a Cape Buff arrow, but I would really like to know what you would put together. Do not hammer me on the total weight as this is what my PH recommends to his hunters and has great success with kills on buff with these. Here you go:

28" arrow shot at 70#'s (27" absolute minimum length) (2009 HCA Speed Pro) 7 1/4" BH
                      700 to 750 grains total arrow/BH weight
                      As high an FOC as possible
                      Tuffhead 225 grain single right bevel BH
                      Using FOB's now, but will look at feathers of vanes if needed.

Please let me see your recommendations!

Comment

That is easy with a gold tip kinetic 200. Mine are cut at 26.5 nut I have shot with as much as 400 up front.

Comment

Okay mudslinger

Let's look at 700-225 head-12 knoc-18 blazer-50 insert=395/28=14.1gn per in arrow.

Now let's look at the Kinetic 200 =11.6 gn per in. *28=324.8+225tip+18blazer+12knoc =579 you need another 120 gn up,front. That would give you 699 and about 22%foc. This arrow will handle that much weight

In my above post the 400 was tip weight. I even had another 100to 130 gn insert with that. Can't remember what the insert weight was
                          Last edited by enewman; 12-10-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Mudslinger, I'd go with a black eagle carnivore .250 spine cut to 28", with 175 grains inserted weight, fletching (I used blazers) and nock. my math says:
                            271(shaft)+225(head)+175(inserted weight)+18(blazers)+8(nock) for a grand total of 697. I would try one like that and see how it tunes, if there is enough spine left in it then you could drop another 5-20 grains in the insert and still have an inch to cut if you need to stiffen it up a bit. you would be in the 710-715 range then. as far as the FOC I will throw something together later this week and give you an accurate number, but its safe to say your are in the upper end of the EFOC range of 19-30%

the key in your set-up is your head. there is simply none better for a dangerous game head, awesome choice.

Comment

What tha FOC Kyle

Comment

Muddy fuzzy do you think the 250 spine carnivore will handle that much weight up,front. That's 400 gn not many arrows will handle that.

Comment

Working...
                                X