Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    Mine are 29 1/8"
    I don't want to hear about your 31 in draw. I hope you have to duck every time you walk through a door haha

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
      I don't want to hear about your 31 in draw. I hope you have to duck every time you walk through a door haha

Lol;-)
      I do :-)

Comment

Or can't sit in a ground blind lol

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
          Or can't sit in a ground blind lol

I am the ground blind ;-) lol

Comment

Have we talked feathers to increase FOC?
            I'm drawing a blank

Comment

As per muddy it's a good way to cheat and get about 1% or 2. 3 feathers weigh about as much as 1 blazer vane.

Comment

I think muddy is the one that talked about a feather called rayzer. Or something like that. I would love to shoot feathers, but I like my arrows to be as quite in flight as I can get. I use fletch flex. Now does it matter. I don't know, but it makes me feel better. Same reason I use a solid broadhead. Non vented

Comment

I think muddy is the one that talked about a feather called rayzer. Or something like that. I would love to shoot feathers, but I like my arrows to be as quite in flight as I can get. I use fletch flex. Now does it matter. I don't know, but it makes me feel better. Same reason I use a solid broadhead. Non vented
                  This is anecdote based on experimentation using the microphone on an iPhone, but I've come to the opinion that any broadhead tipped arrow sounds pretty much exactly the same as the others from downrange regardless of feathers, slick tricks, etc. etc.

From behind the bow a slick trick sounds like you just tossed bacon on a really hot skillet, but from the other end the noise isn't all that different than a field point.

Doppler effect?

Comment

Originally posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
                    This is anecdote based on experimentation using the microphone on an iPhone, but I've come to the opinion that any broadhead tipped arrow sounds pretty much exactly the same as the others from downrange regardless of feathers, slick tricks, etc. etc.

From behind the bow a slick trick sounds like you just tossed bacon on a really hot skillet, but from the other end the noise isn't all that different than a field point.

Doppler effect?
                    Definitely not trying to stir the pot, but I respectfully disagree. Some broadheads make a much louder buzzing noise (DRT broadhead is the loudest head I've ever shot by far), others make a whistling noise, and others are essentially quite during flight.

Comment

I have shot 2" gateway rayzrs, 3" parabolic and now currently shoot 4" parabolic gateway feathers. Since one vane weighs more than three feathers you can bump the FOC anywhere from 1 to 2% depending on a couple of other factors. I have had success with different profiles using a variety of fixed blade heads. If the bow is tuned well then you can get by with a lot less fletching than normal. That coupled with the fact that high FOC arrows make the fletching more influential also means you can shoot less than previously needed still producing adequate steering. With bows not breaking the sound barrier anytime soon I find the whole "noise in flight" thing to be a fairly trivial topic with no real teeth to speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
                        Definitely not trying to stir the pot, but I respectfully disagree. Some broadheads make a much louder buzzing noise (DRT broadhead is the loudest head I've ever shot by far), others make a whistling noise, and others are essentially quite during flight.
                        I would actually heavily encourage pot stirring in the name of science so long as wives, girlfriends, mothers and hunting dogs are left out of it...

To restate and to ensure that we are on the same page, I've heard all manner of different noises with different points and broadheads when positioned at the string end of the bow, but what I'm postulating is that the sound perceived from the target's vantage point is very different from what the shooter hears and, usually, pretty much the same for any broadhead. I haven't gone so far as to crouch behind the target while someone else shoots, but I've recorded from the target vantage point and can't tell a significant difference between, for example, razorheads, slick tricks, muzzys and magnus. Field points and mechanicals are less noisy, but only just.
                        Last edited by JimboBurnsy; 12-02-2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I have shot all kinds of broadheads. Standing to the side and closer to the target. A vented broadhead is loader. It may be pitch. Some heads whistle, some sound like a bee. I will promise you a non vented head is no where near as load as a vented head. I can hear the difference of a blazer and a flex fletch vane. That is from the behind to the side and in front. Now the question is it loader or is it a pitch and does it matter.

Go get a Zwickey head then get a steal force fat head. If you can't hear the difference you need hearing aids.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
                            I would actually heavily encourage pot stirring in the name of science so long as wives, girlfriends, mothers and hunting dogs are left out of it...

To restate and to ensure that we are on the same page, I've heard all manner of different noises with different points and broadheads when positioned at the string end of the bow, but what I'm postulating is that the sound perceived from the target's vantage point is very different from what the shooter hears and, usually, pretty much the same for any broadhead. I haven't gone so far as to crouch behind the target while someone else shoots, but I've recorded from the target vantage point and can't tell a significant difference between, for example, razorheads, slick tricks, muzzys and magnus. Field points and mechanicals are less noisy, but only just.
                            I've never been able to hear a BH when I shoot the bow. Also, I've never stood behind a target either, but I have stood off to the side and I could hear a difference. But, we also have to consider that it could sound much different (or similar) from the angle of the desired target (ie. directly behind the target). However, I'm not going to be the one who stands behind the target and let someone shoot at me. I'd hate to be the product of a freak accident

Comment

Come on people can't you spell. Load is not the db level of something. It's spelled loud. Crap I can't spell.

Comment

Lol drt's are pretty LOAD but my bow to fast to worry about that lol

Comment

Working...
                                X