Bare shaft tuning info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare shaft tuning info

Ok here we go again I think you still need to adjust rest,yoke and lb of bow to get good flight But you need to get your arrow close to dynamic spine first Stop adjusting now in the beginning

Going to post some pics
    All shot from a mr5 at 26.25 draw at 65.4 lbs arrow is a velocity 300 at 26.5 in All I did was change the tips
    1-100gm
    2-200gn
    3-225gn
    4-250gn
    5-300gn
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

So as you can see a real stiff arrow is not going to be tunable. But you can see how you can tune a weak arrow. For me the 225 gn tip would be the perfect dynamic spine for me. Now it's time to fletch and broadhead tune.

So can you move rest and yoke to tune a bare shaft yes you can. Can your spine still be weak. Yes it can. So tune your arrow to the bow not bow to arrow

All arrows where aimed at blue tape. So you can see what the adjustments do to the impact locations
            Last edited by enewman; 10-08-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Lol, I'll grab the popcorn!! Awesome post brotha!!

Comment

at what distance do you bare shaft tune?

Comment

Bare shaft tuning.
                  In theory, a bare shaft with a field point will have same poi as a fletched shaft with a field point.
                  Broadhead tuning.
                  In theory, a fletched shaft with a field point will have same poi as a fletched shaft with a broadhead.
                  Now, if I'm understanding these theories, shouldn't a bare shaft with a field point have the same poi as a fletched shaft with a broadhead?

Comment

Yes you can tune a weak shaft. The problem is getting them to group, as the distance increases, so will the group. they will also be very unforgiving. It is also extremely difficult to get underspined arrows to group well with broadheads.
                    It is hard to completely understand what you were trying to accomplish and what your conclusions were based on. It reminds me of high school when we would stop at a light and do a chinese fire drill.

Comment

I would rather be over spined than under anybday

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                        Yes you can tune a weak shaft. The problem is getting them to group, as the distance increases, so will the group. they will also be very unforgiving. It is also extremely difficult to get underspined arrows to group well with broadheads.
                        It is hard to completely understand what you were trying to accomplish and what your conclusions were based on. It reminds me of high school when we would stop at a light and do a chinese fire drill.
                        The reason it looks like I stop is because I did This is a third post on a tuning method I've been doing What I have been showing is that when you start to bare shaft tuning you should tune on the arrow not the rest in the first stages of tuning. I have like others have used the easton tuning charts, but I'm finding there are steps that have been left out. Most people shoot a arrow that is weak and it works great, but my goal is the best flight I can get with a high foc and out to 100 yards

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                          Bare shaft tuning.
                          In theory, a bare shaft with a field point will have same poi as a fletched shaft with a field point.
                          Broadhead tuning.
                          In theory, a fletched shaft with a field point will have same poi as a fletched shaft with a broadhead.
                          Now, if I'm understanding these theories, shouldn't a bare shaft with a field point have the same poi as a fletched shaft with a broadhead?
                          Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          The reason it looks like I stop is because I did This is a third post on a tuning method I've been doing What I have been showing is that when you start to bare shaft tuning you should tune on the arrow not the rest in the first stages of tuning. I have like others have used the easton tuning charts, but I'm finding there are steps that have been left out. Most people shoot a arrow that is weak and it works great, but my goal is the best flight I can get with a high foc and out to 100 yards
                          Help me here.
                          Is my theory doable?

Comment

Yes in theory. I have been doing lots of testing. Mainly because I'm shooting a 215 gn tip. So my question has been how do I know if I have the correct spine. I use the programs. But again how do I know. This is why I'm doing testing. Lots of tuners make me look less then a beginner. But none tell me how do you know if the arrow is correct. I know you can take a bare shaft and tune it to do exactly what your doing. My problem with this is draw length has to be perfect. Form perfect. Then you adjust rest and yoke tune. All this makes the arrow fly. But none correct if spine is incorrect.

Arrowsmith. Here seems to do a great job of bare shaft tuning, but I think he is still taking a arrow from chart, program. Them making adjustments to the bow. I might be wrong.

I think you still need to do these steps but only after the time has been spent getting the correct spine.

If this is all done in theory for now, if you set up arrows this way I don't see why at least less then 50 yards why you can't take different arrows with different tip weights and the only adjustment should be up/dn.

So rocky back to your question. If the arrow is correctly spined. And the bow is tuned. Then yes the arrow should be directly in front of string so all should hit together.

I do believe there is going to be some broadheads that are going to take more steering then others, and blazer vanes are not going to do it.

I would like to get some help from you. If you don't mind. If so pm me your number. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                              at what distance do you bare shaft tune?
                              Right now at 20 yards I can do that inside. But once I get what I. Looking for at 20 I will back up. Don't know how far yet. I have shot bare shaft out to 100. That was just to see if I could even hit the target

Comment

Working...
                              X