No announcement yet.

Pass through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most likely shot placement, and I would also get a stiffer spine arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
      The dissection of the arrow path would tell the story. You are most likely hitting shoulder bone... My guess
      X2

Comment

What is he shooting. A 400 spine fmj even at 27.5 lenth is around 426 gn. With 100 tip and blazers. Should have plenty of weight. He must have meant 400 spine. Which is to weak. So he probely has two problems. To weak and shot placement. All this is a guess. Not enough info

Comment

My thinking is he is shooting an FMJ that weighs near 500 grains total. I don't think he said what his spine is. If I'm right then it is just issues with shot placement.
          I shoot 29" 340 spine FMJ's that are right at 490 total grains with a 100 grain Ramcat.

Comment

Originally posted by pblaetz View Post
            You could reduce some poundage, possibly a heavier broad head to stiffen your spine. I would probably take a few lbs off until I need to buy more arrows, then go with 340'
            Heavier broadhead will weaken spine.

FWIW, I try to tuck my arrows into their armpit quartering slightly away. Rarely get a pass through on big pigs, but they never run far.

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
              Heavier broadhead will weaken spine.

Correct.

FWIW, I try to tuck my arrows into their armpit quartering slightly away. Rarely get a pass through on big pigs, but they never run far.

Quartering away with the opposite shoulder as the exit point is deadly and make sure your heads are sharp.

Comment

Mimliblikiih

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                  Those 400's should be way to weak of spine arrow for a 70 lb bow. I am on the brink of being too weak with a 60 lb bow. Also you are shooting a mechancial head. I would try a slick trick or something.
                  How do you figure he is shooting a mech??? Ramcats are of the best penetrating multiple blade "Fixed" heads on the market.

And to the OP. Hogs are just flat tough.

Comment

When you say pass thru are your arrows not sticking out of the pig on the other side at all? If your not hitting shoulder or plate on a bigger boar your arrow should be a least stick out the other side. I have shot bunches of pigs, most from tree stands 25' in the air and very seldom get a complete pass thru. Remember, the smaller less tough pigs (if there is such a thing) your broadhead will stick in the ground before your arrow is all the way thru. On those big nasty pigs take a quartering away shot and be very happy if you can bury the flechings! O and KAP!!!

Comment

lol

Comment

Working...
                      X