Right or Left fletching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right or Left fletching

Did my own test with my bow and the arrows i use. The bow is a Mathews Triax and the arrows are Eastern Axis 5mm. The arrow leaves my bow counter clockwise. I fletched for both right and left helical. Shot field tips and broad heads. At least out to 40 yards I saw not real difference. I was betting the left helical would be more consistent and accurate, it was not. No real world difference, at least to my bow and the arrows in shoot.

Yeah I would think most people on the planet can’t shoot the difference

Comment

I did mine left, because why not. There's been a lot of testing and nobody can tell the difference. Some argue that the fletching spinning reverse of the natural rotation is actually better as it immediately creates more drag to stabilize the arrow and then let's up after the spin changes direction.

Comment

I’m a lefty but use right because that turns the shaft to tighten the screw-in points. Used to do left as advised by a bow shop but always dealing with loose points was frustrating. Switching to right fixed that.

Comment

if you use single bevel broadheads just make sure they match the fletching.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            if you use single bevel broadheads just make sure they match the fletching.
            Or broadheads like Ramcats that are directional.

Comment

It depends which side of the equator you are on.

Comment

Like I said with the broadheads I use, no significant difference.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I did mine left, because why not. There's been a lot of testing and nobody can tell the difference. Some argue that the fletching spinning reverse of the natural rotation is actually better as it immediately creates more drag to stabilize the arrow and then let's up after the spin changes direction.
                  What is the natural rotation?

Does an unfletched arrow spin?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post

What is the natural rotation?

Does an unfletched arrow spin?
                    The natural spin depends on the twists of the bowstrings. Mathews bow strings typically do a left twist. A bare shaft will rotate.

Comment

Practically it's not worth worrying about it. However, I'm not practical nor do I ever leave well enough alone. So I always match helical/offset direction to the natural rotation of the arrow. My factory PSE strings were left, my Phantom strings are right. My OCD just can't deal with the arrow is spinning one way, and the fletching has to stop that motion and reverse it. That probably all happens in inches after leaving the string... but I know its happening and can't let it go.

Comment

I went down this rabbit hole last summer with my setup. I agree that it's probably not worth worrying about for most people, and that most people can't shoot the difference.

This video helps see it in action with a high speed camera, with bare shaft, and right and left helical.

I don't like that it happens, so I match the natural rotation. The concept of it pausing in flight, then changing rotation direction, then actually seeing it happen, was too much for me not to change it to match natural rotation.

Comment

After seeing the video, it would seem to me that you would want the fletching to counter the natural rotation so that the arrow completely clears the bow before rotating any amount. If the arrow starts spinning before the fletching clears the rest, you might have collision even with a drop away if you have a narrow shelf and tall fletching or slightly underspined arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                            After seeing the video, it would seem to me that you would want the fletching to counter the natural rotation so that the arrow completely clears the bow before rotating any amount. If the arrow starts spinning before the fletching clears the rest, you might have collision even with a drop away if you have a narrow shelf and tall fletching or slightly underspined arrows.
                            I could see that, but IMO you've got multiple things wrong at that point that need fixing. The arrow can't start rotating until the string turns loose, which will be just under brace height, so you have about what... 4 to 5" it would have to spin significantly? Tac/Shwacker did a great video on this, and I don't think any arrows started rotating a perceivable amount till out of the bow by a couple of inches at least.

Comment

This is a fascinating topic and makes me want to buy some high speed camera to experiment with. It’s hard to believe the string alone can impart spin to a bare shaft but the video clearly proves it.

Comment

Working...
                              X