No announcement yet.

G5 T3 deployment and resetting blades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always used G5 Montecs with great success.. This year I bought the T3, 1 3/8" Grim Reaper, and Tekans just to see if they were better. They all fly to the same POI as my field points and G5 Montecs. I've been carrying the Grimm Reapers since my doe kill 2 weeks ago a complete pass thru. She only ran about 40 yards with a good blood trail.I found the arrow 35 yards in a straight line from the spot where I shot her.
    Attached Files

Comment

First shot into foam Block.

One blade deployed, one broke off, one stayed locked. I'll stick with my trusty ole Snuffers.

Tapatalk. Like a boss.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
        So I just bought T3's for the first time and I was really excited about using them until I started messing with them...

I have always been a die hard fixed blade guy and shot G5 Montecs and montec CS. Last year I shot 3 blood runners and was not impressed.... Performance is part of it but more than anything I am looking for retention of shape, and sharpness. i.e. I should probably stick to fixed blades.

Now I am playing with these T3's and trying to figure out the spider clips. The instruction say they are ready to go out of the package so I screw one on and use the thread protection tube to try and deploy the blade from the front. It took some GOOD force to get them loose, I did not like that.
        THEN, the instructions tell you how to reset the blades in the spider clip for next use...WITHOUT having to remove the tip from the arrow.

So I reset the blades and I see the spider clip has bent as I suspected but now it is a touch too loose for the blades to stick firmly in place. I used a flat piece of plastic and bent the spider clip prongs back up just a touch. Only enough to where I am confident the blades wont deploy prematurely.

In the end, The spider clip is not holding the blades as tight as it was out of the box, but it is also not as loose as it was after the blades were deployed. Is this ok? Does anyone else do this to help ensure the blades deploy on impact?

Hope that all makes sense. If you use T3' you should understand it all.

Thanks!

ac
        I just screwed them on and used them, worked every single time. great head I've killed a number of animals with them. once i shot them i simply put a new clip on, i don't try and re-use the old one. it comes with additional ones

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        Sounds like to much crap to deal with. Sorry I'm no help.
        it's not at all, screw them on and they work. no worrying about the blade deploying in the quiver or need for extra bands

Originally posted by Pig Slayer View Post
        I'm trying the T3 this year. I killed a doe 2 weeks with it. It worked perfectly. I had to do the same thing with one of the broadheads except I used a medium size safety pin to get the correct tension on the Spider Clip. Once I got it where I wanted it I used the broadhead tool that came with to pop it open using a small food serving scale . It took maybe 2 pounds of pressure to open it. That's what the other two in the package popped open with. THe head I had to adjust is what I killed my doe with. After I checked the T3 the blades were still very sharp with no nicks. The spider clips were bent back, so I bent them back using the safety pin (It's a tool now in my archery box) and checked the tension and it's ready to go again. One thing to remember is the clip goes under the little tits of the blades that's what keeps them closed. I really like the T3's once you understand how it's suppose to work.
        again I've never adjusted a single one and I've shot 8-10 animals with them. just screw them on, check them. I've shot a few dozen of them into targets and the only problem with them opening has been when I've shot the crap out of the target and i hit the same spot over an over.

no tension or foam on the head is going to make it so the head doesn't open

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
          I just screwed them on and used them, worked every single time. great head I've killed a number of animals with them. once i shot them i simply put a new clip on, i don't try and re-use the old one. it comes with additional ones

it's not at all, screw them on and they work. no worrying about the blade deploying in the quiver or need for extra bands

again I've never adjusted a single one and I've shot 8-10 animals with them. just screw them on, check them. I've shot a few dozen of them into targets and the only problem with them opening has been when I've shot the crap out of the target and i hit the same spot over an over.

So you shoot them as is out of the package? With the spider clip cradling the blade? It took me some pretty good force to deploy the blades like this....

Never had deployment issues on an animal?

Hey Pig Slayer is that a T3 or Grim Reaper entry/exit pic?

ac

Comment

So you shoot them as is out of the package? With the spider clip cradling the blade? It took me some pretty good force to deploy the blades like this....

ac
            never . . . . . . your pushing with your finger remember your arrow is hitting the animal with 50-70lbs of KE.

they'll open

Comment

ac
              It's the T3 entry & exit wound. My next kill will be with Grimm Reaper for a comparison between the two.
              Last edited by Pig Slayer; 10-24-2011, 02:54 PM. Reason: didn't finish

Comment

They work great. The blades have deployed every time for me. I've even tried the higher tension clips that come with the replacement set and they work perfect to. Think about it, you are pushing on them, but when you shoot an animal the edge of that blade hits the animal going around 290 fps. It will pop open every time. Or at least in my experiance. I have shot several whitetail, lots of hogs, and a P&Y bear with them. They have worked perfectly so far.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post

I agree with everything you have said txdukklr. I only had to adjust the tension on the one. The other 2 were just fine. I even shot it into my target block to see how it performed before killing my doe with it. And they don't come loose in my quiver either.

Comment

thanks for all the feedback guys, good stuff!

ac

Comment

This is the second one out of a brand new pack that smoked itself in my target.

This is the first one that smoked itself in my target.

Never had a Rage do this and I shoot them at the same target all the time.

Comment

I like them. No rubber bands to deal with. Just a metal clip. Lol. They seem like a descent head.

Comment

Working...
                        X