No announcement yet.

Does Broadhead really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally use nothing but Muzzy MX4 100grain. Has never let me down.

Comment

I haven't read all the replies, but I am sure this is a repeat:

Find a broadhead that you have confidence in and make sure it is very sharp. You'll gain confidence in a head by practicing with it and confirming that it shoots well out of your bow. I personally like to find a head that shoots about where my field points shoot. It is a little bit different for me because I shoot a longbow instinctively (now) but have shot a compound with sights for years. When you loose an arrow at an animal, you want to feel like THE MAN about to rain down fire and brimstone. You don't want to be willy nilly a hopin' and a'prayin' that things go right.

Also be sure to enjoy the process and the journey. The joy of getting things figured out and the satisfaction of a job well done are definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
        I suggest to new bowhunters mechanical broadheads to avoid frustration trying to tune fixed heads to same POI as field points.
        There are conditions that need to be met.
        1. arrows flying straight and hitting where you aim.
        2. I suggest a minimum of 55 lbs K.E.
        Today I had a guy come into the shop to purchase broadheads, and asked me my opinion. I asked him what he had been shooting, and he said"I don't know"
        I asked"have you tuned your bow to fixed heads, if not, I recommend a mechanical"
        He said " I've heard bad things about mechanicals"
        I said " If you want a fixed head, I sell Slick Tricks"
        He bought a pack, and I suggested some extra blades to practice with and see how/where they fly.
        He said "I'll just shoot these".

Guys like this need to shoot mechanicals, or stay home.
        Last year was my first to bow hunt. I took the advice of a good friend and long time archer and used mechanicals (Spitfires and then Bloodrunners). I never practiced with those (just with field points), just used them hunting and killed three pigs and two deer.
        Well, I'm a tight wad and I didn't like spending roughly $10/each for mechanicals that didn't last more than one shot (each one had enough of an 'issue' after being used that I wouldn't use it again). So, this year I switched to fixed (Muzzys) that I get for $5/each (package of 6 for $30). I've been able to practice with them and I'm ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor Dobbs View Post
          Broadhead choice is VITAL.
          You have to have a strong, straight, sharp as hell broadhead that will fly great out of your bow/arrow set-up. Anything less and you are asking for big trouble and disappointment. You may get away with something less but it will bite you hard sooner than later. Big regrets. If you want to bowhunt, you have to "sweat the small stuff" and pay attention to every detail. Good luck and welcome!
          Well said, also if you are having trouble getting your broadheads to fly right, try shooting a 3-4 inch healical fletch. There are mixed opinions on this but some times those blazers are just not enough to stear a head too good.

Comment

Great thoughts. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Magnus buzzcuts. They fly great and they are really Sharp.

Comment

Working...
              X