Does Broadhead really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Broadhead really matter?

Let me just start by saying I'm new to bowhunting so be gentle. So I've leapt into a possible hunt this fall with my newly purchased bow. I've been shooting quite a bit and am increasing my confidence that I can make an accurate and lethal shot out to the 40yard range. However this has been only with field points. Now the hunt for my broadheads begins. After spending some time researching I've decided mechanical broadheads come with too many concerns that I don't want to contend with as a novice shooter. As far as fixed heads are concern, I can't really tell much of a difference from the absolute cheapest to the most expensive. They all seem to be just razor blades you can screw on a stick. My digging around has shown most people seem to be fiercely loyal to one brand, but usually not because of a problem with another brand. Is there any real problem brands out there? Any to avoid? Any real, meaningful reason to avoid a particular head? If it matters I'm shooting a PSE brute set at 65# with a 29'' draw. Arrows are Beman MFX 340. Any insight is appreciated.

Shane

Shane, you will see a difference in the way they fly. Some will spin faster, slower, hit high/low, left/right. The best thing I can say is get with someone and see if you can shoot a couple to see what set-up works best for you. Then with that knowledge you can go out and purchase some BH's.

I've tried several and personaly settled on two, Muzzy100 and plain Jane 100gr Thunderheads. They perform best with me set-up.

Do your homework on this! There's a huge difference.

~Michael

BTW, "Welcome to your new addidtion"

Comment

IMO the bow/arrow combo must work with the broadhead you choose. Meaning if you choose brand X which is reputable, and it doesn't shoot like your field tip does, then more than likely there is a set up issue to deal with. Also, some bows just do not like to shoot certain types of broadheads, and there really is no way around it.

Muzzys are inexpensive and kill a lot of deer every year. So do just about any other brand BH, when the animal is shot in a location to kill it. With less than a week left to go before opening day, you should have tried at least one brand of BH to see how it flies, and if that is what you want to shoot. The most important part of a BH is razor sharp blades, and some are sharper than others out of the package. And if you shoot some into a target, they need to be resharpened or have the blades replaced at least.

I suggest you go to a reputable shop i your area, and ask them what they would recommend and try some out. See if you like them and go from there.

Comment

Get any brand head that flys good with your bow.Main thing is getting it into the bread basket,if it will do that and plenty sharp,DEAD DEER!

Comment

Doesn't matter (to a degree)

I'm of the opinion just about any sharp, solidly made, fixed blade will do the job if placed in the boiler room. Some slightly better than others (maybe).

Some may fly better than others but what flies well in one set up may not be best in the next.

Best advice (if you can't shoot multiple heads) is buy a popular brand, tune your bow for them, and try them for the season. Then try a different head next season if your not confident with them.

Comment

What they said and stay away from the wally world brand...Allen, I think. They are junk. I'd say muzzy cuz they are a great head, very durable, and come with practice blades. I'm sure there are other heads as tough. The durability may save you some bucks in the long run. Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Like said above, the smallest 1" 2 blade will kill when properly placed. Beyond that IMO it's about marketing and personal preference. I focus on what shoots well out of my bow. And by well I mean consistently to the same spot and preferably the same as my field point.

I've tried many and I'm always looking for the next best thing. The problem is while I shoot and love the Rage, I haven't found a Fixed BH that shoots better than the Magnus Stinger.

Give it a try, I've done well with it and Uncle Ted shot it for several years. He's moved to the Steel Force which looks identical.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGasMan View Post
                Let me just start by saying I'm new to bowhunting so be gentle. So I've leapt into a possible hunt this fall with my newly purchased bow. I've been shooting quite a bit and am increasing my confidence that I can make an accurate and lethal shot out to the 40yard range. However this has been only with field points. Now the hunt for my broadheads begins. After spending some time researching I've decided mechanical broadheads come with too many concerns that I don't want to contend with as a novice shooter. As far as fixed heads are concern, I can't really tell much of a difference from the absolute cheapest to the most expensive. They all seem to be just razor blades you can screw on a stick. My digging around has shown most people seem to be fiercely loyal to one brand, but usually not because of a problem with another brand. Is there any real problem brands out there? Any to avoid? Any real, meaningful reason to avoid a particular head? If it matters I'm shooting a PSE brute set at 65# with a 29'' draw. Arrows are Beman MFX 340. Any insight is appreciated.

Shane
                Yeah, some guys are extremely loyal to broadhead brand X. Fotunately, there's not nearly as much bickering when it comes to the best bow on the market

Comment

Well. I say just startin try a Slick Trick, Stinger or a Steel Force Razor Dobbs. They all come razor sharp (some heads dont they just say they do). They are all three usually excellent flyers and penatrators.

Muzzy and Thunder head are good as well. There are alot of good ones, not just these 5...
                  Last edited by JW; 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Just for the record, it will be a late season hunt so I have some time to find and get competent with a broadhead.

Comment

Good luck. Pm me if you need. Im sure im not the only one that will help. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGasMan View Post
                        Thanks for the input. Just for the record, it will be a late season hunt so I have some time to find and get competent with a broadhead.
                        I suggest to new bowhunters mechanical broadheads to avoid frustration trying to tune fixed heads to same POI as field points.
                        There are conditions that need to be met.
                        1. arrows flying straight and hitting where you aim.
                        2. I suggest a minimum of 55 lbs K.E.
                        Today I had a guy come into the shop to purchase broadheads, and asked me my opinion. I asked him what he had been shooting, and he said"I don't know"
                        I asked"have you tuned your bow to fixed heads, if not, I recommend a mechanical"
                        He said " I've heard bad things about mechanicals"
                        I said " If you want a fixed head, I sell Slick Tricks"
                        He bought a pack, and I suggested some extra blades to practice with and see how/where they fly.
                        He said "I'll just shoot these".

Guys like this need to shoot mechanicals, or stay home.

Comment

The name really doesn't matter, as long as they fly well out of your set up and you hit the spot you are shooting... next is they must be VERY SHARP..... and that's it....

Comment

i just went from fix to mechanical. they are Rocket broad head ath720bh Meat Seeker 100gr 2 Blade Mechanical. i love them they fly, I feel much smoother and they are good price and my friend keaton, which is a staff shooter for a hoyt dealer, shoots rage and they are mechanical. i think that it helps with arrow flight but its really just personal preference. if you want fixed check out G5 or muzzy. but its best to find friends that have fixed and mechanical and shoot both at a broad head target to see which one you like

Comment

Broadhead choice is VITAL.
                              You have to have a strong, straight, sharp as hell broadhead that will fly great out of your bow/arrow set-up. Anything less and you are asking for big trouble and disappointment. You may get away with something less but it will bite you hard sooner than later. Big regrets. If you want to bowhunt, you have to "sweat the small stuff" and pay attention to every detail. Good luck and welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X