Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

same draw weight, can it feel different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know what i think your right, total brain fart on my end

Comment

When you think that you can handle the draw weight of your bow, plant your butt in a chair and see if you can hold your bow straight out and draw it smoothly without having to swing sideways or sky draw. If you can't, then you may be trying to shoot too much weight. The vast majority of shots i have taken at animals in TX, I have been sitting, think about it.

Comment

funny you should mention i was just talking to my wife about that, i figured i better be able to shot from the sitting position, pratice the way you hunt right

Comment

For several months I thought my bow was set at 68. When I got it tested it was actually 63. I would look into getting it tested to see what the actual draw weight it.

Comment

The amount of energy it puts out has to come from somewhere so even though you only have to pull 70lbs the amount of time you have to pull 70 can change and the path there can be different.

Comment

I shot 70lbs for years ,, I recently made the change to 60lbs and I have never looked back. Your accuracy will go up and it will be more pleasurable to shoot for longer periods.

Comment

actually just sat on the end of the bed and pulled back a few times, wow that is alot different that is for sure, i was able to hold the bow straight out and pull back, it was a little tuff, but i could do it. probably couldn't shoot as many shots in practice that way but i'll try to take some shots like that tomorrow when i get out of work and see what happens

Comment

It is strange that you can stand and draw the bow back without any problems, but put sit down and it is a whole different ball game. This is what I use to do in my shop when people said they wanted their bow weight increased and could handle it. I would up the weight and then take them back into the range and have them sit in a chair and show them how much harder it was to draw.

Comment

ok so i just got back from the bow shop and to my surprise my current bow isn't set to 65lb like i was told, it's right at 55lb so i feel a little on the idiot side but oh well live and learn right.

so i talked to the guy about the possibility of ordering a hoyt rampage in the 50-60 and he said it shouldn't be problem so it looks like tomorrow i might have me a new toy on order, i just can't for the life of me figure out which color, all i've seen is the black and the realtree ap, but the website show several other colors. but my current site is in realtree ap, so i might just get that one, but would really like to the max-1 looks like and not just a block on of camo oh well enough rambling for now. thanks again for all the help guys

Comment

I just bought the rampage XT, 60#. I was told it's better to have a 60# bow if I'm not shooting over 60#'s that a 70# bow adjusted to 60#'s.

60#'s is plenty for deer

Comment

My practice range has a section of tree trunk that I sit on for practice, plus my ladder stand that I shoot from while sitting. So, I get plenty of practice shooting from my broadest base of support.

Comment

i am thinking i should be able to pull 60lb, at least i can get 55lb all day long, if i have to tune it down a little i might, untill i can move it back up to 60lb, but i to thought it would be better to have a 50-60 and have to back it down and then move to 60 vs a 60-70 and back it all the way down and possible struggle a little bit. either way it's going to be an improvement over my 15 year old bear

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley Levene View Post
                            I just bought the rampage XT, 60#. I was told it's better to have a 60# bow if I'm not shooting over 60#'s that a 70# bow adjusted to 60#'s.

60#'s is plenty for deer
                            I agree

Comment

Working...
                            X