Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

same draw weight, can it feel different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same draw weight, can it feel different

i just went and was looking at a new hoyt rampage xt and the guy said it was set at 70lb draw and i seemed to struggle, then he turned it down to about 62 and still had a little trouble. however my current bow from what i was told(it's a hand me down from my dad) is set at 65 and i have no issues at all with it. now granite it's an old bear from the early 90s. so can the age and type of bow really make a difference, or is it more likey that my current is no where near 65lbs. now on the flip side once i had it at full draw it felt like i could hold it there all day, unfortnuatly there is no range so i can shot it unless he lets me go out in the parking lot behind the building

Could feel different but I would check the actual poundage you are pulling on the bear. I would suspect it is not 65.

Comment

Sure it can. Lots of things come into play. I would think the axle to axle is the biggest factor. I would also agree that it is likely not 65 lbs. if you are stuggling that much w the other.

Comment

i was sorta thinking the same thing, i asked the guy if he would mind measuring my current bow and just said to bring it on in and we'll take a look. he also said the rampage xt would go down to 60 so as long as i don't have any issues with that i think i will go that route and just work my way up. i just got back from a deployment so it been about 9 months since i shot my bow, guess i better hit the weights again, don't want to be the only guy out there pulling 60lbs

Comment

Sure it can.
          I've whittled my bow count, down to 2. A Mathew's Switchback XT and an Elite Synergy.
          Both bows pull exactly 65 pounds, on a scale, but the Synergy is harder to draw. I know some of it has to do with the cam setup, but can't explain the physics of it.

Comment

Nothing wrong with pulling 60, kills just fine with a super smooth draw when its that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by cntryislandboy View Post
              i was sorta thinking the same thing, i asked the guy if he would mind measuring my current bow and just said to bring it on in and we'll take a look. he also said the rampage xt would go down to 60 so as long as i don't have any issues with that i think i will go that route and just work my way up. i just got back from a deployment so it been about 9 months since i shot my bow, guess i better hit the weights again, don't want to be the only guy out there pulling 60lbs
              60lbs is plenty for any whitetail you will encounter, heck elk for that matter. Dont worry about folks thinking you are a pansy or something. Heck Ole Nug shoots around 54lbs. The dumbest thing you can do is set it at 65 or 70 and struggle to draw it just so you can tell people oh yea, I have a 70lb bow.

Comment

Take your old bow with you and have them check it. Better to stay with a draw weight your are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with 50-60 pound limbs.

Comment

Different bows set at the same weight and draw length may and will feel different on the draw. ATA and cam design have the majority of what will feel different. Harder cam, harder draw.

Comment

absolutely, it's how fast you get to the weight, how long your pulling it how it rolls into the valley and so on that makes a difference

Comment

javelin- i defiantly agree, i like to shoot alot and don't want something i am going to struggle with, i think that would take all the enjoyment out of it

i also think i will have them turn it down to 60(lowest it will go) and try that, along with having him test my current bow since he said he would.

in having him turn the weight down, is there a need to worry about him turning it to low, i just read a story about a guy who adjusted his and went to far and bam limbs are flying, wraping around his head, pieces flying all over, i defiantly don't want that to be me a week down the road when i'm shooting

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Different bows set at the same weight and draw length may and will feel different on the draw. ATA and cam design have the majority of what will feel different. Harder cam, harder draw.
                        X2 it is also possible the old bear is not set at 65 lbs. Good info on this thread.

Comment

i just looked at the hoyt website and it says the bow will do 40-80 lbs, in the shop the guy said it would go down to 60, i am guessing the guy a the shop might be confused a little maybe

going back to the loosing up the weight to much issue and limbs flying everywhere, and becuase it will go down to 40 not the 60 i thought it would, is it a safe bet to just have him keep letting up and keep trying untill i find a spot where i am comfortable this seems to make sense to me, but a i am sorta new to bows, and b i am military so we are sorta trained to do the opposite of what makes sense

Comment

my thought is: would you rather pull 60lbs. or 70lbs. on a cold day in the woods while hunting...

Comment

Originally posted by cntryislandboy View Post
                              i just looked at the hoyt website and it says the bow will do 40-80 lbs, in the shop the guy said it would go down to 60, i am guessing the guy a the shop might be confused a little maybe

going back to the loosing up the weight to much issue and limbs flying everywhere, and becuase it will go down to 40 not the 60 i thought it would, is it a safe bet to just have him keep letting up and keep trying untill i find a spot where i am comfortable this seems to make sense to me, but a i am sorta new to bows, and b i am military so we are sorta trained to do the opposite of what makes sense
                              I think what they are saying on their website is 40-50#, 50-60#, 60-70#, and 70-80# limbs, thus the 40-80. NOt one set of limbs that go from 40-80.

Comment

Working...
                              X