No announcement yet.

Little help on bow tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've killed a ton of animals with sub 250fps bows and beyond 40 with that set up. It's not the speed that kills them rather the understanding the animal and what his language is telling you. If that deer is skittish at 30yds and you're shooting 400fps you'll still have a bad hit, their muscle twitch is just too fast.
    I currently shoot 280fps and have shot animals out to 60yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
      28.5 draw and i shoot gold tip with 100gr field tips/brood heads.
      I Just need a little quicker. My honey hole blind is a 40yrd pin to the Feeder and i gotta aim way low on them bc they squat quit a bit by the time my arrow gets there.
      That's actually pretty much peak performance for a 28.8, 70# Drenalin shooting a grained out arrow. Without repeating most of what has already been covered here, keep in mind, archery is a game of give and take, diminishing returns.

You may gain a few fps with a lighter arrow, but will give it back in shot noise and/or arrow flight forgiveness, accuracy or penetration. Similarly, you would obviously gain more fps with more draw weight or draw length, but your ability to make a clean, fatigue free, shot with good form could suffer.

Don't get caught up in the idea that you arrow should fly a flat line all the way to a spot 40+ yards out, it simply ain't gonna happen. Best bet it to find a balance of all the factors you want in a hunting rig/arrow combination... then shoot the daylights out of it, everyday, dozens of shots per month until you KNOW your own and your bows limitations and strengths.

Some Deer are just gonna duck, and not necessarily always the string. Ever stood(hidden) down range from an incoming shot and listened to a particular vane in flight... especially from a 300+ fps bow?

I'd duck too
      Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 06-05-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
        Well i didn't mean to **** ya off. Sorry bud.
        Not at all... I just call it as I see it... have a great day..

Comment

I shoot a drenalin and love it. Mine slings em at 263. I can get faster with a new string, better arrows and crankin up my weight a lil more, which I will eventually do. But I have a sims s coil stab, limb savers on the limbs, and the monkey tails and harmonic dampers in place and mines stealthy quiet.. So I not too worried bout the rainbow just letting ya know how I had mine set up. Oh, mines 27dl pullin 58lbs with Beamen 400gr arrows and 100 gr points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X