Little help on bow tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little help on bow tuning

I have a 09 Mathews solocam drenalin that is still basically stock. I have it set at 73lbs and it shoots 283fps. The limbs are pretty much maxed out maybe a few more turns. -what can i put on it to get 300fps or maybe more. Tired of the rainbow it makes.
    My bow guy has told me a few things but i want yalls opinion.
    Thanks

We need to know more about your setup, what's your drawlength and arrow weight? The Drenalin isn't a speed bow by any means and 283 fps is very respectable for a hunting rig. You can pretty much set your top pin to 20 yards shoot one pin out to 30 at that speed, just have to learn what your hold under/over is for the intermediate distances.

Comment

28.5 draw and i shoot gold tip with 100gr field tips/brood heads.
      I Just need a little quicker. My honey hole blind is a 40yrd pin to the Feeder and i gotta aim way low on them bc they squat quit a bit by the time my arrow gets there.

Comment

You need to look up Jimmy Fisher over there and get some learning...
        ask around the bow shop or the range, they all know him..

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
          28.5 draw and i shoot gold tip with 100gr field tips/brood heads.
          I Just need a little quicker. My honey hole blind is a 40yrd pin to the Feeder and i gotta aim way low on them bc they squat quit a bit by the time my arrow gets there.
          17 fps at 40 yards on a ducking deer probably won'y help.
          The only way you're gonna gain this 17 fps with your current bow, is to lose50-60 grains of arrow weight, and right now, for you to get the 283, you're most likely at around 370 grains therebout, so you'll have to go well below 5 grains per pound.(warranty).

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
            17 fps at 40 yards on a ducking deer probably won'y help.
            The only way you're gonna gain this 17 fps with your current bow, is to lose50-60 grains of arrow weight, and right now, for you to get the 283, you're most likely at around 370 grains therebout, so you'll have to go well below 5 grains per pound.(warranty).
            I am going to agree with Rocky, your trying to squeeze to much out of this set up. The lighter you go with your arrow wt. the less KE you will get and that opens up another can of worms. I hate to say it but you might need to save your money up and get one of the new speed bows to get to your goal. I know what you mean about the speed thing though, I think most of us want something that will shoot faster, faster, faster. Over the years I have learned to pick my shots, and time of shot, a little better. Deer with head down, eyes out of sight, relaxed, etc. and I practice at 50 / 60 yards most of the time which makes those 20 yard shots seem like gimmee's. Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

rainbow huh. i bet you cant tell the difference visually between 283 and 300 from behind the bow. If you have more turn left in DW, start there, and then start dropping arrow weight. get rid of the extra weight on the string, whatever that might e, and also rest selection might get you a couple of FPS.

Comment

If you start using lighter arrows, your bow will become louder, then maybe instead of ducking they will be jumping. Shoot a heavier arrow, it will really quiet down your bow, then you won't have to worry.

Comment

I get faster speed than that at 55lbs, but mine bow is a speed bow, yours is not. Either live with what you have or get a new bow. You have decent speeds with that setup. Deer usually don't jump nor drop from the bow noise anymore. So instead of trying to get more speed, get something to quiet the bow.
                  Pat

Comment

The 17fps isn't going to help you avoid a ducking deer or change the rainbow that much.

283 fps is awesome speed

Comment

At 283 fps you shouldn't have any problems with ducking deer, if your bow is quite. But if you really think they will. Set up closer tithe feeder maybe? They won't be duckin 283 fps with a quite now there

Good luck

Comment

283fps... Thats FAST , I have killed deer at MUCH slower speeds than that..... Maybe you should consider moving your blind closer ....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                          You need to look up Jimmy Fisher over there and get some learning...
                          ask around the bow shop or the range, they all know him..
                          Im real close with jarod lawrence. That is who does my bows here.
                          I average a 339/380 when i shoot competitions so i don't think i need any learning..just wanted to reach full potential outta my hunting set up.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                            At 283 fps you shouldn't have any problems with ducking deer, if your bow is quite. But if you really think they will. Set up closer tithe feeder maybe? They won't be duckin 283 fps with a quite now there

Good luck
                            I would if i could but its real open area no hide out closer than 35 yards unless i post up I'n the wide open and i have too many coming I'n don't wanna risk it

Comment

Then I think the main thing would be to quite your bow, have you actually had deer duck you at that distance? If not then I wouldn't worry about it

Comment

Working...
                              X