Is there such a thing as to much speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Light arrow = higher speed but higher noise levels too, and harder on the bow's parts. For hunting, I would opt for a heavier, slower arrow every time that gives me a quieter bow. If you are shooting 3D, then the noise would be irrelevant and the speed and flatter trajectory would help with minimizing misses from range estimation errors.
    I agree the lighter arrows may be a little noisier, which undermines the speed you will be gaining, so make sure your bow is still quiet with the lighter arrows. More importantly, I would also make sure you are still in the required grains per pounds of draw weight, or you will start damaging your bow. I generally like to stay somewhere around 400 grains on my arrows at 71 pounds of draw weight and 29 1/2 inch draw. If you had concern on kinetic energy, I would say it would depend on what you are hunting. If you are shooting smaller deer, and you get consistent pass throughs, then you are probably have enough kinetic energy. If you are hunting elk, you may need more for better penetration on larger animals. Also, with more speed, tuning and form becomes more critical as your bow will be less forgiving. If you do not feel these things will be an issue for you, then spend the extra money if you want the speed, but these are things I would consider first.

Comment

Man I'm learning a lot here

Comment

Unless you're shooting serious 3d competition at unmarked ranges or spot and stalk with routine long (40+ yard) shots, you don't need the speed other than bragging rights. The difference will be how far the arrow goes out the other side of an animal.

Arrows unlike bullets kill by cutting, not by transfer of energy to destroy tissue. Momentum in my opinion (Mass x Velocity) is better related to penetration but I've seen this debated ad nauseum for 15 years on bowhunting web sites. If you do want a light weight arrow, the CT Cheetahs are light wt and durable.

Comment

KE is sometimes coined as "knock down power"! Momentum is what pushes the arrow thru, and that is what you want. On a light arrow, hitting heavy bone, penetration is better with a heavier shaft. When a baseball is hit, it is done with a heavy bat, but not too heavy, and never a light bat. That is why you pick your equipment that works the best for you.
          Pat

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
          Unless you're shooting serious 3d competition at unmarked ranges or spot and stalk with routine long (40+ yard) shots, you don't need the speed other than bragging rights. The difference will be how far the arrow goes out the other side of an animal.

Arrows unlike bullets kill by cutting, not by transfer of energy to destroy tissue. Momentum in my opinion (Mass x Velocity) is better related to penetration but I've seen this debated ad nauseum for 15 years on bowhunting web sites. If you do want a light weight arrow, the CT Cheetahs are light wt and durable.

Comment

The problem with speed is it's affect on group size. Keeping a 2" group with broadheads at 285fps is quite easy. At 315fps the group size usually increases and will probably have fliers way out because of the inconsistant spine of light arrows. Speed, KE, and momentum mean nothing if your not placing the arrow in the chest cavity.

Comment

my arrow is double the gpi, personally 287 is smoking fast enough.

I'd go with the arrow thats gonna punch through that boars side plate and candidly thats too risky a drop in arrow weight for a measly 30-40 fps.

Comment

The more I read on here and talking to other hunters I think I will stick with the heavier arrow.

Comment

I shoot an arrow on the heavier side and the loss in speed is made up for in penetration. I get an itch every now and then to drop the arrow weight so I can get more speed but I have yet to scratch that itch.

I mainly hog hunt and the heavier arrows just work better for me.

Comment

The high country arrows have a reputation for blowing up... The Easton Flatline's will gain you speed as well.

Korbin

Comment

I was shooting a 3d tournament the other weekend, most guys in my group have their bows set up for 3d (light arrows), I shoot with my hunting arrows (475 grains). Yes, they all out shot me for score. But the point I wanted to make was on multiple targets, their arrows would impact and the target would not move. I hit several that I rocked it back and forth on the 2 metal posts hammered into the ground- my arrows hit harder I think. All would kill a normal pig or deer with a sharp broadhead never the less.

Comment

Working...
                      X