Is there such a thing as to much speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there such a thing as to much speed?

I went to the local bow shop today and bought new sights. While I was sighting them in the shop owner was telling me about some faster arrows he had. I've been shooting Gold Tip Velocities @ 287fps this arrow was a High County arrow and I tried it and shot it @ 317fps. Is the 30fps worth paying about $40 more per half dozen?

Originally posted by jrwest66 View Post
    I went to the local bow shop today and bought new sights. While I was sighting them in the shop owner was telling me about some faster arrows he had. I've been shooting Gold Tip Velocities @ 287fps this arrow was a High County arrow and I tried it and shot it @ 317fps. Is the 30fps worth paying about $40 more per half dozen?
    What was the GPI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not $40 but look at the victory arrows. They are a little lighter and would gain you some speed. They are priced pretty good too

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
        What was the GPI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I think he said 5.2 GPI. They are very light.

Comment

Correction just checked High Country Archery website. They are 5.5 GPI

Comment

5.5??? Sounds like a good way to tear up a bow.

Comment

My Velocities are 7.4 GPI

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                5.5??? Sounds like a good way to tear up a bow.
                Exactly!

Comment

Speed is not everything. I dont have the fastest bow out there and I still went to a heavier arrow.

Also keep in mind that you shoukd have at least 5 grains per pound of draw

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
                    Speed is not everything. I dont have the fastest bow out there and I still went to a heavier arrow.

Well if this is true then my GT Velocities should be fine. I pull 66lb X 5g = 330g
                    my arrows are 7.4g X 29in= 214.6g + 100g field tip= 314.6g so pretty close.

Comment

At that speed, how much kinetic energy is there?

Can't be too much.... 68-70?

Comment

I shot both arrows in the same target and the faster one seem to penertrate deeper but does that mean more kinetic energy?

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post

X2! While speed is nice, you also want some weight for penetration purposes. You shooting 320 fps with a 350 grain arrown and me shooting a 455 grain arrow at 297 fps, Ill put money on the heavier arrow for penetration. Also anything hovering 300 fps is plenty fast. As far as $40 more for only a half dozen? They can keep them

Comment

Light arrow = higher speed but higher noise levels too, and harder on the bow's parts. For hunting, I would opt for a heavier, slower arrow every time that gives me a quieter bow. If you are shooting 3D, then the noise would be irrelevant and the speed and flatter trajectory would help with minimizing misses from range estimation errors.

Comment

Be very careful of the 5.5 HCA arrows. they are very stiff, but very brittle. I have shot the 6.2 shafts, but had one explode coming out of my bow. dodged any serious injury. you must use the nock collars on these shafts to be safe and check them often to make sure there are no cracks or splits in them. I personally have gone from these at blazing speeds to shooting 560 grains. No going back to a light arrow after shooting the 560's.

Comment

Working...
                              X