No announcement yet.

Kinetic Energy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97.5 K.E. 472gr. CX Mayhem cut @ 31". Out of a PSE X-Force 30" draw,68lbs traveling @ 305 ftps. I'm lucky to have long arms. How do you calculate momentum and would it be more important than KE ?
    Last edited by bloodycactus; 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
      Arrow weight doesn't do a ton to KE until you get to some extremes, but has a HUGE impact on Momentum - which is generally a better measure of penetration performance of your arrow.
      Bingo. Bullets kill by transferring KE to destroy tissue and organs and bone. Arrows kill by cutting and penetrating.

But I'll play
      Elite Judge 71/29
      477 grain arrow
      72 KE

Comment

^^^ Yup! No hydrostatic shock with an arrow.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for playing, it's been cool seeing all the different set-ups that y'all are shooting. I learned a lot from this discussion. I'm relatively new to the "green screen" and am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge here. Great forum! Thanks again.

Comment

I'm getting a whopping 53lbs of ke out of my rig.

Comment

Elite Z28 at 28.5DL, 70#, 422 gr. Axis 340 at 284fps, 75.6 ft. lbs.
              My bow was only shooting 267 fps till I got it tuned by Jerry at Rednek Booda Outdoors.

Comment

Has anyone compared their real world stats with those from the website listed above?

I'm entering mine in and seems a little disappointing. Sucks to be short. Results below:

IBO 310 fps
                27.5/60
                27 1/4" arrow @ estimated 340 grains
                265 fps
                53KE

Comment

I have used the calculator and shot across 2 different chorny. The calculation is pretty close to the chrony. The biggest issue i had was variation in the draw weight scales.
                  To answer the original question

Ke = 67 ft lb from the compound

Recurve more like 35 ft lbs.

Comment

Elite GT500
                    62#, 30", 296 fps 432 grain arrow 85# KE

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

600 gr (300 gr BH) ,#58 Palmer Carbon Recurve , Easton 2312 X7 Eclipse 43.18 KE

Comment

Last edited by bubinga; 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
                          Arrow weight doesn't do a ton to KE until you get to some extremes, but has a HUGE impact on Momentum - which is generally a better measure of penetration performance of your arrow.
                          This

Comment

Working...
                          X