how long do arrows last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long do arrows last

how long can i expect my easton epics to last? trying to decide if i should get 6 or 12 new ones. i already have 4 (lost 2) and i dont want to get 12 if 6 will last me ample time. i guess the real question is, do arrows have a shelf life? i mean, does the carbon fiber degrade over time if its not shot? i dont want to have 12 custom arrows made, then not shoot all of them the same amount but the ones i dont shoot as much to still wear out

mine last till I lose them or break them

Comment

Keep the carbon out of UV direct and theyd likely out last you!!!! Course not talkign about impacting rocks trees bones ect...!

Ive found broken pieces of Carbon arrows some that havent been in circulation for a couple years and at the most other than being busted they show abit of fading.
      Last edited by ArrowRanger; 10-30-2010, 06:40 PM. Reason: cant spell or type with these thumbs

Comment

I have a couple Epics that have to be more than 4 years old. Shoot them till they break, or get lost.

Comment

I think they lose their spine over time if you shoot them a lot.

Comment

Long time. Just flex test them every once in a while. Full draw blow up gets messy.

Comment

I've heard carbon lose their spine too if shot a lot. I'll watch this post because don't want to have carbon picked out of my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by kornsqueezer View Post
                Long time. Just flex test them every once in a while. Full draw blow up gets messy.
                Originally posted by TX kyleboy View Post
                I've heard carbon lose their spine too if shot a lot. I'll watch this post because don't want to have carbon picked out of my hand.
                every once in a while as in once a month, couple times a year? i try to shoot my bow twice a week, about an hr each session. i really do not want one of those arrows going through my hand...

Comment

Originally posted by jackh View Post
                  every once in a while as in once a month, couple times a year? i try to shoot my bow twice a week, about an hr each session. i really do not want one of those arrows going through my hand...

I am going on 4 years on some of my St Epics. For the first two years of their life, I shot almost daily......recently I am shooting twice a week. Just flex test them and use common sense. They'll last for a long time if you take care of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jackh View Post
                    I have two or three that really get used (upwards 600-800 shots/week) during the off season and they're still going strong. I just refletch and screw on a broadhead and go hunt. If I hear a rattle or see nicks they get trashed or used for yardage markers on the practice range.

Comment

Flex test after every shot that impacts anything hard (ground, target face pins, bag frame, backyard fence, another arrow, etc.). Flex test any arrow that has an unexpected errant flight, especially with FMJs as they can appear OK on the outside, but the inner carbon layer can be compromised rendering the arrow unsafe to shoot.

Comment

My GT last until i break them

Comment

I've lost some on the first shot, but I also have some in my gun safe that have been there for two yrs so far

Comment

I've found my old arrows that I've shot in the field several years prior and I've shot them again during target practice and they shot fine.
                            I think as long as they aren't splintered or broken they should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                              Flex test after every shot that impacts anything hard (ground, target face pins, bag frame, backyard fence, another arrow, etc.). Flex test any arrow that has an unexpected errant flight, especially with FMJs as they can appear OK on the outside, but the inner carbon layer can be compromised rendering the arrow unsafe to shoot.
                              that makes perfect sense thankyou. lets say i miss a target, hit the yard fence. when i go fetch the arrow and flex test it, what should i be looking for that will tell me to scrap the arrow? cracks in the arrow? creaking noise when flexed?

Comment

Working...
                              X