Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigtuna View Post
    so what exactly is the jig used for?
    to line up and ensure you are getting full contact from the vanes to the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
      to line up and ensure you are getting full contact from the vanes to the shaft.
      What DJ said^^^^^ and like I said everyone has their preference.

I like the Jo Jans. Solid metal construction. Pro quality, and half the price of some other comparable pro jigs. Just my humble opinion. They ALL will put your vanes on the darn shafts no matter what brand ya get.

Comment

OK guys I'm outta here. Gotta go hunt.

Comment

It's easier to fletch arrows when you use Cameron's wraps, and they fly straighter too!

Comment

Originally posted by Bokil View Post
            It's easier to fletch arrows when you use Cameron's wraps, and they fly straighter too!
            Faster to if ya get a flame job

Comment

I bought my son a jig and he is getting pretty good at fletching. what would make them better would be some wraps from Cameron
              Attached Files

Comment

Gonna throw my .02 in,
                1) do not use super glue while you are learning, you have no margin for error
                2) use very little glue no matter what you use, it squashes out from under the vane and makes a mess, if using super glue you can even stick the jig to the arrow and in the process of trying to get it off you will mess up your work
                3) If you use super glue (goat tuff) to put your inserts in work very quickly and do not hesitate until the insert is fully seated. They are next to impossible to get out of carbon arrows without damaging the carbon when using super glue
                4) have fun with it, nothing like the satisfaction of doing your own arrows

Comment

Yep I wouldn't use super glue either. I use the Bohning glue in the silver tube. Easy to use and leaves a nice even thin line of glue. I started fletching my own arrows only a couple of months ago and it is pretty easy. I actually had all the equipment for about a week and then decided to wait and order the wraps form Cameron. I think they came out beautiful and the fletching have been holding tight. I did just as statrd before and watched several videos on you tube first and then gave it a try. Good luck and lets see some pics when you get some done.

Comment

X2 almost everything said above ... Except I hated th Bohning glue in th silver tube; it didn't adhere worth a durn for me. I use Goat Tuff & have had no problems. Cam's wraps are top notch ( got 3 different sets so far w/ a few more ideas in mind!) It's a fun relaxin hobby. I can usually fletch a dozen in about a 12 pack while "enjoyin" a chick flick w/ my dear Bride. Enjoy & post pics of yer work!

Comment

Originally posted by Bokil View Post
                      X2

Comment

I used "super glue" when I first started out cause it was cheap and someone told me you could use it......wrong! The first 3D shoot i went to I was completely embarrassed as half my arrows had lost their vanes by end of the shoot.

I now use GOAT TOUGH fletching glue and its worth every penny. No matter what glue YOU decide to use make sure it is applied at room temps. Cold temp is worst for adhesion and to hot ya might run into glue drying to fast and ya might not be able to wipe off the excess that squeezes out on sides before it makes a mess of things.

Comment

Great stuff. I am going to get a jig soon and get after it. I have some wraps from cameron on the way and I will be posting pics of my handy (or not so handy) work. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

I use the Arizona EZ Fletch and loctite superglue gel and you can't pull my vanes off with pliers.

Comment

I use n Arizona EZ Fletch, I have 2 of them. Time I get one arrow glued the other is ready to come out of jig.
                              I made a arrow holder out of a 2x4 to hold the arrows when i remove them from the jig.
                              I use fresh glue, I have used goat tuff, bohning fletch tite, loctite, super glue. Super glue was the sorriest.
                              I add a drop of glue to the tip of the vane.

Good Luck, and have fun.
                              Last edited by atexx2; 06-30-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I agree w/ everyone. Bitzenburger, or Jo Jan. Also the e-z fletch is amazing for beginners I still use mine when on hunts. And use wraps makes everything easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X