Fletching arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching arrows

Is this as simple as it seems? Super glue, blazers, inserts, nocks, shafts. Anything else I need? Measurements I need to know? I like the idea of making my own arrows and would appreciate some advice or expertise from you guys that have been doing it for awhile.

Bitzenburg fletching jig.

I usually set the tail of my fletching about 1/4 inch from the nock end of the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
      Bitzenburg fletching jig.

I usually set the tail of my fletching about 1/4 inch from the nock end of the shaft.
      Also, if you are installing your own inserts..... Be sure they are put in properly (as per directions).

Comment

Super easy, just watch some vids on Youtube. Everyone has their preference on type and brand of jigs. Whats important is what YOU like and can afford. Take some old arrows and start practicing with them first till ya get you hand on it. Get you shaft pre cut if you dont have your owm arrow saw so that you know they are "square" when ya put in the inserts. You 'll need some insert glue and a bench type torch. It doesnt take much glue stick and remove excess before it fully cools and it will be easier.

Lastly I would suggest using arrow wraps as scraping off vanes after a couple times damages the shafts and vanes wont stick on properly anymore. Plus life is just to short to shoot ugly arrows Have fun with it. It can become addicting!

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
          Super easy, just watch some vids on Youtube. Everyone has their preference on type and brand of jigs. Whats important is what YOU like and can afford. Take some old arrows and start practicing with them first till ya get you hand on it. Get you shaft pre cut if you dont have your owm arrow saw so that you know they are "square" when ya put in the inserts. You 'll need some insert glue and a bench type torch. It doesnt take much glue stick and remove excess before it fully cools and it will be easier.

Lastly I would suggest using arrow wraps as scraping off vanes after a couple times damages the shafts and vanes wont stick on properly anymore. Plus life is just to short to shoot ugly arrows Have fun with it. It can become addicting!
          The man just plain speaks the truth...

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
            The man just plain speaks the truth...
            Ya I need to order some from ya bud. I just havent decided what I want on'em yet

Comment

Yep, so easy a caveman could do it! The inserts and nocks should come with your shafts so get ya some cool wraps, glue of your choice and a jig and you're good to go. If you order online you usually can get the shafts cut to length for an additional fee if you don't have a saw. If you buy from a dealer they'll cut 'em for ya.

Comment

Ya I need to order some from ya bud. I just havent decided what I want on'em yet
                That's my problem too...I finally had to just pull the trigger. I design litterally every set so I get to see all of the cool things that people want...that is cool and all but when it comes to picking some of my own I find myself in a tough spot.

I can do anything, so just let me know!

Comment

Will do....I was seriouly just thinking about it last night.

Comment

Yep, real simple, time consuming, but simple. I enjoy the heck out of fletching arrows, it's my relaxation time. I get my shafts at Cabelas and have them cut there. The install the inserts as well, then I just come home and fletch them up. I like wraps because they preserve the arrows through multiple fletchings, but on the other hand, I can't replace just one vane like I used to, but who cares, vanes are cheap.

Comment

TIP: alot of 3d target guys cut 6" wraps in half so ya get 24 wraps out of each package and keeps cost down plus shorter wraps seem to be a thing right now with a bunch of guys Ive seen lately. Thats assuming you are shooting Blazers, etc.

Comment

TIP: alot of 3d target guys cut 6" wraps in half so ya get 24 wraps out of each package and keeps cost down plus shorter wraps seem to be a thing right now with a bunch of guys Ive seen lately. Thats assuming you are shooting Blazers, etc.
                        *Cough* Shut up *Cough*

Na, in all seriousness that is a pretty good idea. However if that's what you want just let me know and I will cut them for you...much more precise.

Comment

LOL! ya I thought about that after I posted. Dont worry yours are still the BEST looking, so everyone buy wraps from Cameron

Comment

It's cool, I've acctually done that in the past. It doesn't make a difference to me, I get charged by the amount of vinyl I use, not how many times I cut it.

Comment

so what exactly is the jig used for?

Comment

Working...
                              X