Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The4Cs View Post
    Does anyone sell quail? My 10yr old wants some to raise at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get with Walker if you're in SA.

Comment

I have 21, 2 week old quail. All I can say so far is they eat and poop a lot. Almost seems food goes strait out to anus

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
        I have 21, 2 week old quail. All I can say so far is they eat and poop a lot. Almost seems food goes strait out to anus
        The Coturnix are def major eaters, poopers !
        Put some baffles on my feeders, due to them wasting a lot of good as well. They grow quick and mature fast.
        Last edited by sasqy; 06-25-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

We have been wrapping the cages with a shower curtain to keep the wind and rain off when it's really cold. We have run clamp on heating lamps attached to Tposts stuck in the ground when it got down to single digits. They are surprisingly hardy animals after they get their feathers. We didn't lose any to cold.

I think I mentioned the chicken snake problems we had last year. I fixed it with the hardware cloth around the growout cages. We haven't had any snakes try to get into the adult cages. I guess the birds are too big for them. No other predator problems. We have some lights shining on them from one of our cabins. They may help.
          I lost 3 of my big hens, dang snakes swallowed their head and suffocated them. Couldn’t swallow past their neck, but killed them none the less. Finally got all pens sealed well with 1/2” mesh.

Comment

I was wondering how your critters were doing in this heat, esp the rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by The4Cs View Post
              Does anyone sell quail? My 10yr old wants some to raise at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Where are you located??

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
                I was wondering how your critters were doing in this heat, esp the rabbits.
                They're doing well. Two of them had litters last night and one is due tonight or tomorrow morning. But we have the heat tolerant Texas A&m composite rabbits. We keep them in full-time shade under some trees. Quail are in full-time shade as well. Everybody's drinking a lot more water but other than that doing well

Comment

That’s great! My daughter drug our 2 California rabbits in the house bc she’s scared of the heat, but I may put them back out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
                    That’s great! My daughter drug our 2 California rabbits in the house bc she’s scared of the heat, but I may put them back out soon.
                    Get some water balloons and fill them up and put them in the freezer. It's the hottest part of the day take the balloon off and give them an ice ball and they will lay up against it and lick it. You can also put fans to help circulate the air if you need to.

Comment

Got the fans going, and frozen water bottles each day !
                      This heat is getting real.

Comment

What kind of water system are you using ?
                        Do you have an automatic water setup ?
                        I built a good system, but need to get rid of algae, so it doesn’t clog my auto watering cup valves.
                        Last edited by sasqy; 06-27-2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I haven't done anything special for mine but they seem OK with lots of shade from the trees. The ones in the hutch by the house are panting a bit more than the others though.

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                          What kind of water system are you using ?
                          I've been using a 5 gallon bucket with the red cup waterers on a PVC manifold. I took this pic of the new hutch today after building the stand for the bucket. It's not rigged up yet but I'm gonna pipe it in to 6 red cup waterers along the back and rig up a gutter system up top to collect rainwater to the bucket. I gotta get my scrap tin back from camp to finish out the roof first though. Right now I just have fence pickets up there.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            I haven't done anything special for mine but they seem OK with lots of shade from the trees. The ones in the hutch by the house are panting a bit more than the others though.

I've been using a 5 gallon bucket with the red cup waterers on a PVC manifold. I took this pic of the new hutch today after building the stand for the bucket. It's not rigged up yet but I'm gonna pipe it in to 6 red cup waterers along the back and rig up a gutter system up top to collect rainwater to the bucket. I gotta get my scrap tin back from camp to finish out the roof first though. Right now I just have fence pickets up there.
                            I have close to the same system now, but algae is a problem clogging up the cups. Need a solution to control algae from forming. Maybe an additive or something. I’ve wondered about a small percentage of bleach or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post

I have close to the same system now, but algae is a problem clogging up the cups. Need a solution to control algae from forming. Maybe an additive or something. I’ve wondered about a small percentage of bleach or something similar.
                              Use black hose and paint your bucket black. If you are using the little cups and they get algae get rid of them and use the simple nipple waterers.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

Use black hose and paint your bucket black. If you are using the little cups and they get algae get rid of them and use the simple nipple waterers.
                                Will paint bucket and lines black !
                                Still looking for an additive as well. Seeing different options on line for water treatments.

Comment

Working...
                                X