No announcement yet.

Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just four females and two males. Hatching out some currently via my white doves I have. I am also curious to what Junior asked ...
    I am about to give away eggs. Will be curious if anyone is willing to eat them at my church. I do, but I know some folks aren't interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      The cages are both wrapped with 1/2" hardware cloth. I guess a small snake could get it but never have.
      How to you protect them from the winter? I am in Central Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by breese View Post
        Getting about 20 eggs a day.
        Can you please tell me how you do this, exactly..? I have too many eggs for just me...

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
          How to you protect them from the winter? I am in Central Texas.
          My quail are on the ground and i have shade cloth on 3 sides and it blocks the wind pretty good. Water dish does freeze but not very often if it freezes and doesn't look like it will thaw that day I put manual water dishes in the cage. Never lost a quail do to bad weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            My quail are on the ground and i have shade cloth on 3 sides and it blocks the wind pretty good. Water dish does freeze but not very often if it freezes and doesn't look like it will thaw that day I put manual water dishes in the cage. Never lost a quail do to bad weather.
            So you do not need to put a heat lamp in the winter even with say 20 degree nights? Thanks for your help..

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              Chew, how do you keep them warm in the winter, and keep the water lines from freezing? Any problem with snakes or varmints trying to get them?
              We have been wrapping the cages with a shower curtain to keep the wind and rain off when it's really cold. We have run clamp on heating lamps attached to Tposts stuck in the ground when it got down to single digits. They are surprisingly hardy animals after they get their feathers. We didn't lose any to cold.

I think I mentioned the chicken snake problems we had last year. I fixed it with the hardware cloth around the growout cages. We haven't had any snakes try to get into the adult cages. I guess the birds are too big for them. No other predator problems. We have some lights shining on them from one of our cabins. They may help.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                So you do not need to put a heat lamp in the winter even with say 20 degree nights? Thanks for your help..
                Nope. Not for adults. I do sometimes on juveniles that arent 100% feathered out.

Comment

This one found a weak spot where the wire was attached.

Comment

I'm picking up some of these pesky birds from Walker and figured I'd bump this thread to thank OP and everyone for the info. I don't know **** about quail so it was a good read.

Comment

Mr. Chew, how do the quail do with those water nipples? I was looking at doing that system but worried they wouldn't be strong enough to hit that nipple enough to dish out enough water.

Comment

They need regular waterers for a while when young. Maybe have both and then when they get about a month old and then you can pull the waterers away after they learn to peck on them. I usually train mine by pushing in on the nipple and getting some water on the flat part for them to find. It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          Mr. Chew, how do the quail do with those water nipples? I was looking at doing that system but worried they wouldn't be strong enough to hit that nipple enough to dish out enough water.
                          The ones I saw took very little pressure to dispense water

Comment

Awesome thanks!

Comment

Does anyone sell quail? My 10yr old wants some to raise at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure where you're located, but can hook y'all up if you're interested in coming to Centerville Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X