No announcement yet.

Garbage Can Watermelons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam home today to one male and one female flower on the sugar baby on the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Gonna give this a try. 32 gallon trash can. Watermelon seedling. Master Blend fertilizer hydroponic mix. All details are in the description and video:

Garbage Can Watermelons: Hydroponic Growing in the Backyard - YouTube

I'll post some updates later if this thing takes off.

Nice! Must try...

Comment

So I guess the watermelon will be on the ground once it gets big? What if one tries to grow half way down or on top?

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
          So I guess the watermelon will be on the ground once it gets big? What if one tries to grow half way down or on top?
          I just set up some 1/4 hog panels for a trellis on my cucumber barrel and watermelon barrel. Gives the vines something to grow on.

I'm not sure how heavy/big the melons will be. Could be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post

I have mine growing on the fence. Once I get a melon I will slip pantyhose or bird netting around it and tie it to the fence.

Comment

Just checking in on your melons...

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                I have mine growing on the fence. Once I get a melon I will slip pantyhose or bird netting around it and tie it to the fence.

That's what I've heard can be done. I have some watermelon and cantelope and plan to try this if they actually produce. I've got my fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                  Just checking in on your melons...

Chad, is there something about Bobby we don't know, yet?

And since Flash OD has now brought panty hose into this thread, I may or may not want to know where this thread is headed.

Pics of the Trellis Bobby!

Comment

Been following this one. I didn't plant any in garbage cans but I did plant a few. Heres what I found this morning! My first try gardening so it's pretty cool to me! Hoping to hang them in some hose as they get bigger.
                    Attached Files

Comment

And just for grins heres my cucumber plant in a garbage can that Chew helped me with.

Thanks again Bobby!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking good Doug! I just got some cattle panel trellises set up a few days ago. Cucumbers are going wild. Had to make some adjustments to the pot/basket that had my melon plants. The roots were getting in a bind. They should take off now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Looking good Doug! I just got some cattle panel trellises set up a few days ago. Cucumbers are going wild. Had to make some adjustments to the pot/basket that had my melon plants. The roots were getting in a bind. They should take off now.
                          That's great! Cukes in my garden are going nuts with tons of blooms and little ones. So far we've only got potatoes and japs and a couple of strawberries. I'm thinking in a week or so we are gonna be covered in squash and tomatoes and soon cukes. It's a lot of fun. First thing I do in the morning is go out back and check on the garden.

Comment

This weeks update

Comment

Yall look-n great!

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Update. Lots of little melons. Root growth is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X