No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to have that fiberglass dust on stuff for years to come.

Comment

Worked on the gunnels today. Sanded the tops square, rounded off the inner and outer edges, and cut in the recesses for the flip up cleats.

Comment

You'll be fishing in no time....

Comment

I spent all day working on the bow hatch and area. Water channels are complete and the hatch is in epoxy drying. Between the lips and the neoprene seal, the hatch should stay nice and dry.

Comment

Did a little more work on the hatch lid yesterday. When it is said and done I bet a good 24 hours will be spent on the hatch alone! But, it’s all in the details and I am not a boat builder so everything takes a bit longer. Tomorrow I will make some final tweaks to the hatch lid then move to the bilge. I may even get to lay a little glass before going to work?

Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 04-19-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Looking great. You'll be glad you spend all the time on the details.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                May I make one suggestion? Instead of using that 90 you should get a long sweep. It will make it easier to get thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                I seriously considered going with them after I dropped the chase tube in. fortunately I only have 3 pair of 12 awg and the transducer cable to run so the 1 1/2" is actually way overkill but I agree, the softer sweep would be easier.

Michael

Comment

Looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    I seriously considered going with them after I dropped the chase tube in. fortunately I only have 3 pair of 12 awg and the transducer cable to run so the 1 1/2" is actually way overkill but I agree, the softer sweep would be easier.

Michael

You not gonna have steering control and throttle control running thru there??

Comment

You not gonna have steering control and throttle control running thru there??

No sir. Max rated is 15 and I will be running an Evinrude 15 tiller 2-smoke

Comment

Great! 1 1/2” will be plenty then. My comment was based of the thought you needed to run engine controls they there.

Comment

Great! 1 1/2” will be plenty then. My comment was based of the thought you needed to run engine controls they there.

That would definitely be a pain trying to run! I plan to pull everything at one time and add a couple extra pair in the event they are needed down the line. The 3/4" going into the bow hatch will have a 3/8" fuel line and a pair of 14 for navi lights.
                          Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 04-19-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I have been following for a few months and I must say you are doing a fine job there. I have been drooling in the Bateau catalog for years but have always figured it would end up like so many of my "projects". Not having the time to do it and losing track, losing parts, losing interest. Will be retiring soon and may finally pull the trigger on their 20' Flats stalker and cut it back to 18'.
                            Again, Great job!

Locolobo

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                              I have been following for a few months and I must say you are doing a fine job there. I have been drooling in the Bateau catalog for years but have always figured it would end up like so many of my "projects". Not having the time to do it and losing track, losing parts, losing interest. Will be retiring soon and may finally pull the trigger on their 20' Flats stalker and cut it back to 18'.
                              Again, Great job!

Locolobo
                              Thank you so much and I too seriously looked at bateau's plans and even purchased a couple. If you like the 18 range, take a gander at the Salt Boatworks latest design, the FRS-18!

These sitch and glue boat plans for a flats boat or bay boat are ideal for a first time boat builder with some carpentry and/or boat building experience. 

Comment

I just had to set the deck in place just to see what she’s going to look like...getting closer!

Comment

Working...
                                X