Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN_boy
    replied
    Next project will be cutting color core plastic to make mount plaques for my Nilgai from Laguna Atascosa
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TN_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    The detailed 3d carving stuff is really neat, but it seems impossible to make any $ at it if you’re trying to do it as a real business. That one picture with the ducks and reeds was 19 hrs total cut time, at $25/hr for the machine run time you’d be $475 before any sanding, finishing, or design time. I could see it working well as a hobby business or for gifts though, since the true overhead isn’t very high.

Correct, 3D files are a waste of time. You will never get real price from them.
    However I do run my machine overnight while I sleep, which does help offset pricing.

You have to find a niche and promote why your product is superior to all the 100s of others that exist.

Leave a comment:

• TN_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lip View Post
    Looks like it’s going to be pretty sharp.

You still running the Laguna IQ? I’m trying to decide what I want to buy and like them but those are a bit pricier than what I want to spend.

Yes, Laguna iQ.
    Now have access at work to a Multicam 5x10 with 8 tool changer.

Leave a comment:

• TN_boy
    replied
    Texas prototype finished. Holy moly this thing is sharp!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Drewboy22
    replied
    Originally posted by Lip View Post
    Maybe someday soon I can be posting pics of what I made.
    Almost there

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    Maybe someday soon I can be posting pics of what I made.

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    Just pulled the trigger on a Spark Robotic 4x4.

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    I’m looking at the Mill Right Mega V pro because of the 4th axis. My wish list drives the cost of a machine up beyond what I want to pay. I would be doing this as a hobby when I’m retired so little if any ROI expected. I’d love 4x4, air cooled spindle, 4th axis, laser and would like to stay in the $10k range or less so there will be some trade-offs.

Leave a comment:

• gatorgrizz27
    replied
    Some cool stuff in here, I bought a Laguna IQ as well back in September. I have a cabinet shop but we don’t have space for a 4x8 or 3 phase power. I mostly use ours for add-ons to existing projects, stuff like notches for pulls in drawer faces, adjustable shelf holes, curved ribs, etc.

I’d like to have an ATC, but with the standard model I can run long panels under the machine which I use more than I thought I would.

The detailed 3d carving stuff is really neat, but it seems impossible to make any $ at it if you’re trying to do it as a real business. That one picture with the ducks and reeds was 19 hrs total cut time, at $25/hr for the machine run time you’d be $475 before any sanding, finishing, or design time. I could see it working well as a hobby business or for gifts though, since the true overhead isn’t very high.

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    Any of you guys run a Mill Right? If so, any feedback on them?

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    Originally posted by TN_boy View Post
    Working on a 3d topo map of Texas with epoxy rivers inlaid.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/sJVCYI_4FgM?feature=share

Looks like it’s going to be pretty sharp.

You still running the Laguna IQ? I’m trying to decide what I want to buy and like them but those are a bit pricier than what I want to spend.

Leave a comment:

• TN_boy
    replied
    Working on a 3d topo map of Texas with epoxy rivers inlaid.
    @howlingsawdust on Instagram and Facebook www.howlingsawdust.com Custom and personalized wooden gifts made from sustainably harvested native Texas hardwoods.

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    Sooo many choices of machines, software, etc. etc.

You guys do awesome work.

Leave a comment:

• TN_boy
    replied
    I'm around, located in Bastrop, just East of Austin

Picture my niece drew digitized and engraved.
    3D tap handle for my lady friends.
    Star Wars firefighter themed cigar/whiskey tray
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Lip
    replied
    Sent and thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X