Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Building a take down long bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I need to apologize. I've kinda dropped the ball on talking pictures. I've gotten to where progress is fun and I get rolling and just don't slow down to take pics.
    So, limb tips are shaped, and string groves filed. Didn't get a pic of that but to decide where to put them I put the string on an outline it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	24493848

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	24493849

Name:	IMG_0670.JPG
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	24493850

Comment

Beautiful work!!

Comment

Goal weight is 45lbs. I still have to sand the protective coating off the limbs, round the limb edges and clear coat the limbs. I hope I can keep some weight!!

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	24493851

Comment

I took her out and shot it a couple of times. Didn't quite have it at the right brace height and no nock or silencers on it. Seems to have a little hand shock...not sure just yet how smooth its going to be?
          Broke it down and put two clear coats on it. All three parts hanging and drying.

Name:	IMG_0676.JPG
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	24493852
          This is the really tough time for me. Up until now its been a lot of hands on, now I have to keep my hands off while its drying!!!

Comment

Man that thing is looking nice! I always hate the finishing process as I usually want to rush it and don't let it cure out enough....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
              .....I always hate the finishing process as I usually want to rush it and don't let it cure out enough....
              Me too. Luckily today I'm at the station and I do not get off work until tomorrow morning.

Comment

This is an awesome build! I'm about to start my second wood lam bow. Hopefully it won't blow like the last one!

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
                  This is an awesome build! I'm about to start my second wood lam bow. Hopefully it won't blow like the last one!
                  Wish you best of luck. Any idea why the last one failed?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                    Wish you best of luck. Any idea why the last one failed?
                    Delamination between the ipe and bamboo.

Comment

Sanded everything, wiped it down with denatured alcohol, and sprayed another clear coat. Aaahhh!!!!!! I got a little heavy with spraying! See the cloudy "J" in the middle of the sight window? That is where some finish is starting to run!

Name:	IMG_0686.JPG
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	24493940

So, I quickly took the riser down and used the bolts in the limb pockets as handles and rotated the riser for several minuets until the finish smoothed out and started setting. We'll come back in alittle bit and see how it turns out!

Comment

Hopefully the finish will smooth out and not have any runs or waviness to it....
                        I had built a string to use while building the bow and it has gotten dirty and nicked so I'm making another one. Decided to go with brown as the main color, and a little red and yellow to spice it up and tie into the bows colors.

Name:	IMG_0689.JPG
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	24493941

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	24493942

Comment

I have to go into work for a few hours this afternoon, we'll check the riser later tonight.

Comment

Cool! The finish smoothed out and turned out great!! I'm really happy with the finish!

Name:	IMG_0698.JPG
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	24493952

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	24493953

Comment

I haven't been able to get in the shop and finish this one yet. Hopefully I'll get out there today! Last chance I had to look it over I noticed some sanding marks on the limbs that I'm not satisfied with, might have to totally refinish the limbs? Future owner wants a satin finish so I'll put two coats of satin over the gloss after write the specs on it. I also need to put the new string on it brace it and serve the string and nocking point. I'll do some DIY wool puff ball silencers for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                                Goal weight is 45lbs. I still have to sand the protective coating off the limbs, round the limb edges and clear coat the limbs. I hope I can keep some weight!!
                                [ATTACH]851926[/ATTACH]
                                Your scale looks happy! This is an awesome build!

Comment

Working...
                                X