Building a take down long bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
    So, you had to pike the bow (shorten) to pick up bow weight.
    What's the finished bow length your going to end up with? Is the future owner a large individual with a long draw length?

Just adding your limb tips will add you about a pound to a pound and a half.

Keep up the good work, it's starting to look like a bow!
    The finished bow length will be really close, just a little shy of 60".

The future owner is not great big just an average sized guy.

Glad to hear limb tips will add a little poundage.

Yes, it is finally looking like it will be a shootable bow!

Comment

You, sir, are an artist! Very impressive

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        You, sir, are an artist! Very impressive
        Oh no sir! There are many other way more talented than me!
        Thank You for the compliment.

Comment

The last thing I had done was cut and prep some laminations for limb tips. Now we have all of our needed supplies and material laid out and ready. Clamps, epoxy, limbs taped to protect from excess epoxy and limb tip area sanded and ready.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	24493781
          Ok, mixed epoxy, spread on limb tips and laminations and carefully clamped trying to make sure they didn't move. I used some scrap plywood to protect limbs from clamps. I wrapped the plywood in plastic wrap to prevent accidently gluing them to the limbs!!

Name:	IMG_0638.JPG
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	24493782
          Add a little heat, and at least four hours to cure. Its going to be tough but I'm going to let these sit overnight, turned the lamps off after four hours, to be sure its good and cured.

Name:	IMG_0639.JPG
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	24493783

Comment

While the limb tips are curing we'll start shaping the shelf and finish shaping the sight window. I put some foam insulation board on my work bench so I don't scratch and dent the riser any. Several different rasps and files and here we go!

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	24493786
            AArrgh!!! Rookie mistake!! When working around edges always be sure to push into the edge(green arrow) with the rasp and never let it drag back or work off the edge(Red arrow). I did and it started to rip out this little piece. Not too bad, I'll use a little super glue on it and more than likely it will get sanded off anyhow.

Name:	IMG_0643 - Copy.JPG
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	24493787

Comment

Shelf and sight window finished.

Name:	IMG_0644.JPG
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	24493788

Name:	IMG_0645.JPG
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24493789

Comment

The coworker I'm making this for wants a riser insert so he can put a light on it to hunt hogs at night. I drilled a slightly smaller hole and used an old stabilizer adapter so I could tap it in with a hammer and not mess up the insert. I also put a little epoxy in the hole before putting the insert in.

Name:	IMG_0647.JPG
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	24493791

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	24493792
                And the final sanding before clear coats.

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	24493793

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	24493794

Comment

Oh Boy!!! I couldn't wait anymore! I put a couple of quick clear coats on it! Lookin' good! From here on out the only thing I'll need to do to the riser is multiple coats of Spar Urethane and sanding in-between coats with progressively finer grit.

Name:	IMG_0658.JPG
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	24493795

Name:	IMG_0659.JPG
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	24493796

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	24493797

Comment

Very nice! That riser design is really cool! One day I'm gonna get into the laminate bow making. Great job!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

What did you seal it with? That Desert Camo wood really comes to life with some finish sprayed on it!

On my longbow project, I'm thinking I'm going to use the VHT Clear Matte Wheel finish in a rattle can, that WTK has been talking about. I have never used the stuff, but it sounds very promising. Supposed to stick to and cure on all wood species, including the Rosewood family.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                          What did you seal it with? That Desert Camo wood really comes to life with some finish sprayed on it!

On my longbow project, I'm thinking I'm going to use the VHT Clear Matte Wheel finish in a rattle can, that WTK has been talking about. I have never used the stuff, but it sounds very promising. Supposed to stick to and cure on all wood species, including the Rosewood family.
                          I'm going with what I have used in the past, Minwax Spar urethane, I haven't had any issues with it in the past.
                          Yes, The dessert camo really popped with a clear coat on it! It almost has an iridescent appearance to it as you turn it in the sun.

Comment

Just amazing and adding the special touches to tie that bow into his sons bow will mean a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                              Just amazing and adding the special touches to tie that bow into his sons bow will mean a lot.
                              Thanks! I think that's one of the things I like about building a bow is the customization of them.

Comment

Limb tips cured and ready for shaping.

Name:	IMG_0667.JPG
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	24493829

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	24493830