Restoring Grandad's ol 56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring Grandad's ol 56

I'm sure It's going to be a long process full of blood, sweat, tears, beers and swearing but in the end it'll all be worth it.
    It's a 1956 GMC 100 series pick up. It's all original with a sb 316. This truck was bought by my great-grandfather and has been in our family for four generations now. When I was a kid I used to spend the summer with my grandparents working at our family farm. We would use this truck to haul cattle from Floresville to union stockyards in San Antonio.
    My grandpa passed away in July and since then we have been cleaning out his house and the barns. Here's a a pic of it buried in the barn
    I finally got it dug out and over to my house.
    After cleaning the carb, replacing a few fuel lines and setting the points it was up and running. It has a few cancer spots in the normal areas like lower doors and front fenders but all in all its in pretty good shape.

That will be a sweet looking ride when the project is complete.

Comment

That thing is gunna be slick

Comment

Great truck! Being complete is great and being in the family and your grandfathers makes it even more special!
        I just started working on a 40 Chevy truck. Only cab frame and bed. So I decided to do a bobber or rat rod style truck with it.
        It'll mean a lot to you when it's done. When you get frustrated just remember who it belonged to and what it'll mean when it's done.
        Last edited by switchback; 09-13-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I am in for this one!
          Last edited by redoak77; 09-13-2015, 07:32 PM. Reason: Messpel

Comment

That is an awesome project!

Comment

Definitely in for this. What are your plans for it?

Comment

Cool truck Casey. Hope the cart is doing you well. I saw it made it in a corner in one of the shots.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure exactly what I'm going to do just yet. My plans so far are to do an IFS conversion on the front. I'd like to lower the stance a little bit, nothing too drastic. I'm thinking white with red interior. Really digging this but not dead set.

Comment

Dude, I'd go back just like he had it. Including side boards!

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                      Cool truck Casey. Hope the cart is doing you well. I saw it made it in a corner in one of the shots.

Yessir I started tinkering with it the first week. The ride was a little rough so I pulled a leaf out of the front and rear springs. That made it sit a little too low in the front so I decided to put a little more lift on it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ETXBow View Post
                        Go all original bro.

Comment

Haha. Yeah my dad told me the same thing.

Comment

you got your work cut out for you. Awesome project !

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
                              Go all original bro.
                              This ^^^^^! Put it back just like granpa drove it.

Comment

Working...
                              X