No announcement yet.

Barndominium in the making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30x40 living. Ranch house. 2 bedroom 1 bath. Even though wife wants 2 baths. Lol. If possible I might need some advice? Any help is greatly appreciated! Building in hill country! Doss just north of Fredricksburge

Comment

Barndominium in the making.

Wood is in good shape for coming out of a river.

What advise? If your wife wants a second bath, maybe it's easier to think of it as 'your' bath and put it in!

Comment

I've been following this build from the beginning. You are doing a really nice job, keep up the good work. Your new tricycle motor will be helping you in no time!

Originally posted by SmackDown73 View Post
        30x40 living. Ranch house. 2 bedroom 1 bath. Even though wife wants 2 baths. Lol. If possible I might need some advice? Any help is greatly appreciated! Building in hill country! Doss just north of Fredricksburge

Don't cheap out, add the bathroom. If Mrs ain't happy, your life will just suck. Put a big shop sink in the shop area, you'll use it a ton.

I've wired up several of these structures, but never a wood one. All have been steel structure and metal studs. I come from a commercial construction background, so it seems perfectly normal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          I've been following this build from the beginning. You are doing a really nice job, keep up the good work. Your new tricycle motor will be helping you in no time!

Don't cheap out, add the bathroom. If Mrs ain't happy, your life will just suck. Put a big shop sink in the shop area, you'll use it a ton.

I've wired up several of these structures, but never a wood one. All have been steel structure and metal studs. I come from a commercial construction background, so it seems perfectly normal to me.
          The whole steel versus wood structure is mainly a preference. Some think the metal structure is a lot stronger than wood which in some cases is correct but not all. Mine is built with 6x6 post on 8 foot centers and my trust are spaced closer than most and an engineer rated my building for 140mph winds, I believe most metal frames are rated between 120 and 140mph winds. But my biggest reason for the wood frame is that it's easier to frame off of and for the shop part it's easier to hang things and build work tables off of. The metal is not that hard to do all of that but it's mainly a personal preference. And I think the pole barn looks better too.
          You are absolutely correct about the outside sink, you have to have it. I plumbed out for one under the lean-to, probably do a double stainless sink.

Comment

Looks great. Did you build the pole barn yourself or have that part contracted out? I'm looking for a builder who will build south of Houston, near Alvin. Before the oil strike I had been talking with Reed's Metal Buildings but they haven't gotten back with me now that I'm back to work and ready to get the ball rolling. I had thought about using one of the Okie builders but they are a 9 hour drive away if I have a problem.

I was looking to go the 40/60 pole "barndo" route, but I'm dropping back and punting with a Tilson home that the wife loves. Now the barn has been downsized to be my 30/50 ft "Fortress of Solitude". I am getting a 20/50 ft shed to be half storage & half patio on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
              Looks great. Did you build the pole barn yourself or have that part contracted out? I'm looking for a builder who will build south of Houston, near Alvin. Before the oil strike I had been talking with Reed's Metal Buildings but they haven't gotten back with me now that I'm back to work and ready to get the ball rolling. I had thought about using one of the Okie builders but they are a 9 hour drive away if I have a problem.

I was looking to go the 40/60 pole "barndo" route, but I'm dropping back and punting with a Tilson home that the wife loves. Now the barn has been downsized to be my 30/50 ft "Fortress of Solitude". I am getting a 20/50 ft shed to be half storage & half patio on one side.
              I contracted the building out. I used a company out of Oklahoma and they were 15k cheaper than Reed's. They will build it any way you desire and do a great job. I could never see going with anyone else. Let me know if you want the name and number.

Comment

Painting is done, and should have the cabinets done by tomorrow. Then get ready to start staining the floor.
                Attached Files

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Name and number please of the pole barn builder. Getting close ready for bids on barn!

Comment

I may have missed it but why did you pour concrete after dry in? btw, it's an awesome build

Comment

Originally posted by SmackDown73 View Post
                        Name and number please of the pole barn builder. Getting close ready for bids on barn!
                        Winsett Barn Company. (800)570-1752

Comment

Nice, I'm jealous

Comment

More progress. Lots of lights have been hung and I started a little on the wainscot.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Started staining the floors. First and second coat. Clear is next after we clean the stain.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Stocked the pond last week and started cleaning up the acreage, the grass and weeds are getting out of control.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X