X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned out awesome.

Comment

That turned out nice.

It looks like you had most of the material drilled and/or cut out.
      Why did you burn it, when you were so far along?

Comment

That came out great! I’ll bet that charred wood gives it an awesome aroma.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          That turned out nice.

It looks like you had most of the material drilled and/or cut out.
          Why did you burn it, when you were so far along?
          Because I want to do the next one with as much fire as possible, so I needed to see how it worked. The drilling/cutting method is extremely labor and time intensive. You can't get the bit too hot or it will lose its temper and dull immediately (ruined). In order to do that, I am constantly switching between drill and vacuum.

What I learned about the fire method was you have to babysit it. I might play with some clay on the sides next time to keep them from reigniting.

Comment

Now I want try it! Where is the cutout in the middle for steel ashtray?

Comment

That came out awesome and I really like the burn marks! Very nice work Sir.

Maybe you could somehow spray down the outsides of the log and it would absorb some water and help not let it burn through. If that makes sense..

Looking forward to the next one

Comment

Originally posted by jtransier View Post
                Now I want try it! Where is the cutout in the middle for steel ashtray?

No cutout on this one. This was the patio drink table. Ashtray will be much smaller log and I don't have the wood yet. I've started to look as I drive around for dead logs.

Comment

Turned out very nice...looks good with the charred edges on the outside....like where it was struck by lightening while you were hunting in the tree next to it and it scared off the 30-pointer.

Comment

Never would have thought of fire. I like it.

Comment

That looks awesome. Did you seal, stain it in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Incline View Post
                        That looks awesome. Did you seal, stain it in any way?
                        ^ this. Sweet looking table!

Comment

Came out great. Like the burn marks too. Like the General said, maybe spraying down the sides would help but the burn marks do give it a lot of character. Again great looking piece.

Comment

Looks good. I like the burned spots on the side. Gives it character.

Comment

I would say use a smaller fire next time for more control. Even use embers. I have done a bowl/cup like this. Make a hole, put hot embers in and blow on them. More labor but pretty precise control. If you have an air compressor you could use a blow gun on low pressure.

Comment

How to Drill Out A Stump for A Table

A guy from Church was drilling a hole to secure an elictrical junction box, it caught on something spun around and bust a bone in his hand. It's been in a cast for 3-4 weeks now.....

Have you looked into using a adz? Not sure of the spelling. It's a type of axe..

I was looking on woodcarving illustrated. Some guy suggested a hole saw. Then use a chisel to break the piece off.

That made me think of maybe trying to find a core sample bit......
                                Last edited by Pushbutton2; 09-06-2014, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X