Looking great!

Comment

Sweet project!!

Comment

Great Project

Comment

Thanks guys! More to come.

Comment

I decided to pull the bed off to make it easier to work on the rear end of the truck.

To-do List:
            - Clean all the clay off the frame and axial.
            - Pull spare tank or fix the dual tank system. (From what I can tell the truck bed was a donor and only came with one gas access door.)
            - Replace rear shocks.
            - Repaint frame and axial.
            - Fix leaks.
            - Install a 2” lowering kit.

I started by pulling the bumper. Once the bolts were out I could not pry the bumper off no matter how hard I pulled.

So it was time to use Japanese muscles to pull the bumper.

Toyota 1, Chevy 0!

Comment

Haha! I like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                Haha! I like the way you think.
                lol, thanks

Comment

The bed is held down with 8 carriage bolts. With an impact wrench and an angle (swivel) adapter I was able to pull all but one bolt. Nothing can ever be easy, the stubborn carriage bolt seat was stripped and the bolt spun freely under the impact torque. Like Batman was with his bat utility belt; always having the right utility at hand, I was with my tools. Quickly scanning my garage to see what I had on hand to remove a bolt started to panic. There is not much room for anything to grab or cut the carriage bolt. If I had a plasma cutter it would be a piece of cake! (humm, maybe one will show up later from the fairy tool father).

Than an ideal came to me, I can’t cut or grab the bolt but I could weld it! However, unlike batman my welder won’t fit on my belt. I welded a pipe to the top of the bolt and had my friend hold the pipe and BAM!! the nut came off.

With all the bolt pulled we ware able to lift the bed off the frame.

I had to ask my wife to park her car in the driveway because I needed her parking spot in the garage for the truck bed. She was like "Why" and I said “If Batman gets his bat cave than I need one too!” I think she got the picture and all went well. However, I had to stop working on the truck for awhile because my back was killing me, the couch was not very comfortable.

First part done!

Comment

next time just weld a nut on the top of the bolt works every time but I will give it to you on the pipe good one!

We should trade beds I have a 84 with the fuel doors on both sides and only plan on using one tank

Comment

Originally posted by kabob View Post
                      next time just weld a nut on the top of the bolt works every time but I will give it to you on the pipe good one!

We should trade beds I have a 84 with the fuel doors on both sides and only plan on using one tank
                      Good ideal, I'll keep that in mind the next time.

Comment

I added a plasma cutter to the home shop. I would have loved to have a matching plasma cutter to my Lincoln Electric Mig welder however, the price was too high to justify for a home shop.

After spending a lot of time on the net searching for a descent low cost plasma cutter (Chinese) I settled on the LONGEVITY Forcecut 40D, with full pilot arc. I picked it up from Amazon for $460.96, free shipping.

When it came in I was very happy how well it looked and how well it cuts for a less than a $500 plasma cutter. I had to restrain myself from cutting up all the metal parts in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by DC-Monster70 View Post
                          I added a plasma cutter to the home shop. I would have loved to have a matching plasma cutter to my Lincoln Electric Mig welder however, the price was too high to justify for a home shop.

After spending a lot of time on the net searching for a descent low cost plasma cutter (Chinese) I settled on the LONGEVITY Forcecut 40D, with full pilot arc. I picked it up from Amazon for $460.96, free shipping.

When it came in I was very happy how well it looked and how well it cuts for a less than a $500 plasma cutter. I had to restrain myself from cutting up all the metal parts in the garage.

Nice looking rig!

Comment

Originally posted by DC-Monster70 View Post
                            I had to restrain myself from cutting up all the metal parts in the garage.
                            That's exactly why I don't have a plasma cutter..

Comment

tuned in

Comment

Awesome work.

Comment

Working...
                                X