My hog trap build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hog trap build

Im a senior in high school and am going to college next year to get my degree in welding technology. I went and bought some metal to build a hog trap in my ag mechanics class. Its a box trap with standard dimensions 4'x8' i built it out of square tubing to make it light enough for me to drop it out of the bed of my truck by myself. Im posting it on here in case some one wanted to build one similar and to ask the trappers if they think it will catch a hog? Thanks

I started with a rough design on the computer that i did really quick
    I ended making it similar to it but changed a few things

After i picked the metal up.

First part of the frame.

Me welding the poles to the base.

Not the worlds best but cut me some slack im young haha

Me over heading the top to the frame. Strange enough my over head welds were better then my 2F (i think) welds.

All welded up and ready for the panels and the door.

This was the frame for the door and a few of the panels. (I know they are galvanized and was protected from the smoke)

The door was a pain to get just right but eventually came along
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389280814.594672.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	25003689
    The fully welded trap before paint.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389282234.319856.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	25003691

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389282247.704223.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	25003692
    Right now we are in the process on painting it in bed liner
    I forgot to add that i used 1 1/2"x1 1/2" 14 GA square tubing
    Thanks.

Looks good. Hope you catch alotta hogs with that

Comment

Dont know why tapatalk will only use the last three pics. Ill try and fix it later today.

Comment

You need to make the panel squares on the gate smaller. The pigs will ram their head into the 6" square panel and get stuck. Then they back up and the gate opens to let all the other pigs out. Happened to us last weekend while I was standing there. If it wasn't for quick shooting the other 3 would have gotten away.

Comment

Just curious as to why you covered some of the paneling with plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by jdperry88 View Post
            Just curious as to why you covered some of the paneling with plastic?

Our ag teacher did that

Comment

My hog trap build

Originally posted by Samson View Post
              You need to make the panel squares on the gate smaller. The pigs will ram their head into the 6" square panel and get stuck. Then they back up and the gate opens to let all the other pigs out. Happened to us last weekend while I was standing there. If it wasn't for quick shooting the other 3 would have gotten away.

Its a little late for that now haha
              Maybe i can add something to the door to fix it later

Comment

Regardless of the bigger squares its still a nice job, but he is right, it is alittle to big...

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Are the panels going to be a big deal on the whole trap or just the door?

Comment

just the door I think. the rest should be good.

Comment

Next one you build, save your money on the expanded metal on the bottom. Just put the same cattle pannel on the bottom. Also, they make a panel with 4" squares called a "horse panel". That would probably work better than the cattle panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                          Next one you build, save your money on the expanded metal on the bottom. Just put the same cattle pannel on the bottom. Also, they make a panel with 4" squares called a "horse panel". That would probably work better than the cattle panel.

Alright will do! Thanks. We went with the expanded on the bottom so it would look good for the show im going to throw dirt on it when i use it to trap.

Comment

Very nice work. I would make the next one with small mesh panels. The smaller hogs are crazy like the big ones and I've seen some 40# or 50# become escape artist in larger cattle panel mesh sizes.

Comment

Yes anything below 30 pounds will go right through that size. You don't really need to do much to fix it. Just stagger another piece on top of the other panel so the squares go from 6X6 to 3X6. You can weld them on top of each other or just tie them together with same galvanized electric fence wire. We had a hundred pound pig last year get its head and 1 leg through a 6X6 panel. They certainly have a will to live when you start popping their amigos. Made us rethink our approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X