My hog trap build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samson View Post
    Yes anything below 30 pounds will go right through that size. You don't really need to do much to fix it. Just stagger another piece on top of the other panel so the squares go from 6X6 to 3X6. You can weld them on top of each other or just tie them together with same galvanized electric fence wire. We had a hundred pound pig last year get its head and 1 leg through a 6X6 panel. They certainly have a will to live when you start popping their amigos. Made us rethink our approach.

Dang! Ok thanks for the advice after show ill do something to make it catch better. It dont have to look as pretty after show

Comment

A small spring on the door will help. Hogs are VERY intelligent. If there is a way out, they will learn quickly to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
        A small spring on the door will help. Hogs are VERY intelligent. If there is a way out, they will learn quickly to do it.

There is a upwards bow in the expanded metal its not to bad but do you think it will spook them? Even if i put dirt over it?

Comment

Heres the trap painted and setClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389386017.406050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	24277743
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389386028.655468.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	24277744

Comment

One of the guys I was on a lease with put a piece of plexiglass on the bottom half of the door to keep them from getting their heads stuck. Also let them see the corn inside and made them push their way in -- so he said. After the first 2 nights, there were so many muddy nose prints on the plexi you couldn't see thru it. Still kept them from getting stuck tho-

Would like a report back later about the effectiveness with that floor--folks around here say hogs prefer a trap w/o floor or covered with dirt. I know I have trouble getting them to go into the two box traps I use unless I shovel dirt to cover the wire floor. I think I'm gonna cut the floor out and just stake it down.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              One of the guys I was on a lease with put a piece of plexiglass on the bottom half of the door to keep them from getting their heads stuck. Also let them see the corn inside and made them push their way in -- so he said. After the first 2 nights, there were so many muddy nose prints on the plexi you couldn't see thru it. Still kept them from getting stuck tho-

Would like a report back later about the effectiveness with that floor--folks around here say hogs prefer a trap w/o floor or covered with dirt. I know I have trouble getting them to go into the two box traps I use unless I shovel dirt to cover the wire floor. I think I'm gonna cut the floor out and just stake it down.

Will do. I was planning on hauling them in the trap so i hope i dont have to cut the floor

Comment

Nice trap.

Only advice Ill give is On your next one, do it out of angle. And on the panel, weld it on the inside of the angle. I have built one just like yours and the pigs rammed the corners and broke a few welds. This allowed them to ram it a few more times and eventually broke enough welds to get out. Now on all the ones I build, I weld the panel on the inside of the trap.

Comment

Our original plan was to weld them on the inside but changed it as it wouldn't look good for show. We wanted to go with square tubing so it would be light. Im sure ill eventually have to do repairs on the trap...

Comment

Nicely done

Comment

Originally posted by JacobTyler View Post
                      There is a upwards bow in the expanded metal its not to bad but do you think it will spook them? Even if i put dirt over it?
                      I have seen hogs react both ways. Game cameras show hogs sticking their head in a trap eating all the corn they can without entering (cattle panel mesh floor), other hogs are so aggressive they tear down feeder pens getting in.

Comment

I like it! What shows are you showing?

Comment

sweet

Comment

My hog trap build

We ended up winning showmanship.
                            Last edited by JacobTyler; 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Nice job for your first one, I'm sure you learned a lot and have several things you probably want to do different on your next one. Keep it up

Comment

My hog trap build

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                                Nice job for your first one, I'm sure you learned a lot and have several things you probably want to do different on your next one. Keep it up
                                for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X