No announcement yet.

How much would you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just gotta find a way to cut costs down like krivoman said. I get my steel for cheape bc I buy it 12,000 lbs at a time. Use about 1/3 of it and sell the rest. Only hardware I need is about $2 worth of 1/4 and 5/16 bolts. Mine only come with posts for boat seats so they can pick out exactly what they want on their own, works better that way with all the options there are. I have also gotten to where I can spit a few of them out in a day or so minus painting, in the beginning they were a 2.5 day job.

If I were you I would change these things:

Use 3x1 14 gauge, 11 gauge is way overkill for a deck unless you already have it .

Make your platform smaller , 5x7 is a huge space for a blind that basically will just be sat in. Nobody's gonna be able to get up and stand in an open blind to stretch their legs anyways unless they wanna scare everything off.

Haven't priced horse panel but in sure it's more expensive than expanded metal, use that

They can add their own fabric if they want it

Ditch the line x, a good paint job will suffice. If you must do something to improve traction (which you won't), spray the floor and ladder rings with the rustoleum truck bed coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
      Just gotta find a way to cut costs down like krivoman said. I get my steel for cheape bc I buy it 12,000 lbs at a time. Use about 1/3 of it and sell the rest. Only hardware I need is about $2 worth of 1/4 and 5/16 bolts. Mine only come with posts for boat seats so they can pick out exactly what they want on their own, works better that way with all the options there are. I have also gotten to where I can spit a few of them out in a day or so minus painting, in the beginning they were a 2.5 day job.

If I were you I would change these things:

Use 3x1 14 gauge, 11 gauge is way overkill for a deck unless you already have it .

Make your platform smaller , 5x7 is a huge space for a blind that basically will just be sat in. Nobody's gonna be able to get up and stand in an open blind to stretch their legs anyways unless they wanna scare everything off.

Haven't priced horse panel but in sure it's more expensive than expanded metal, use that

They can add their own fabric if they want it

Ditch the line x, a good paint job will suffice. If you must do something to improve traction (which you won't), spray the floor and ladder rings with the rustoleum truck bed coating.
      The reason why I'm wanting to use horse panel which is 55 bucks is because I won't have to have two pieces to cover the stand unlike a 4x8 sheet of expand metal( my stand will be 5x7). I got a quote of 45 bucks. Also I'm not planning to make these to sell, just for county show purposes. It will be auctioned off and that money goes back in to my local FFA.

Comment

Nice stand, good concept.......not a good price. We make single/double man quad pods for about $280-300, and they are stout and have all bells and whistles. Dont see many folks willing to pay $800.

Comment

I think some important points are being missed here. First, you're never going to be able to compete with a stand that is mass produced. Their volume based material costs alone will undercut you, without even considering automation, labor costs, etc. The only way for you to differentiate yourself is through innovation and quality that is second to none. Your market niche is small (many consumers look at price alone) but there are those who recognize superb quality and workmanship and will pay a premium for it. The second point is that your target market isn't the typical consumer. If these are to be auctioned at an FFA event, your potential customer isn't there specifically to buy a deer stand. They're there to invest in a well respected organization. They will likely pay more for an item than it's typically priced for in an effort to aid the organization. I would at the very least have a list of bullet points detailing how your stand is superior to those that are mass produced. I wouldn't suggest painting it blue and gold but I would somehow try to establish a connection between the product and the FFA. Spend $20 and have your local chapter's logo embroidered on the back of the seat. Give the potential buyer a sense of pride in what they're purchasing. Just my $0.02. Best of luck.

Comment

dazedbutdeadly made some good points.

And a diy forum probably isn't the best place to ask what something is worth. We're all a bunch of cheapskates if it's something we can make ourselves!

Comment

11ga, is overkill and going to be really heavy to move around. Eight sticks of 11g at $35 each is $280, expanded metal another 40, I, not seeing $600 in materials for a basic bowstand. I only had $150 or less in a 4x6 8ft tall tower blind base 14ga 2 1/2 legs and 1 1/2 for base and ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullworks52 View Post
                The reason why I'm wanting to use horse panel which is 55 bucks is because I won't have to have two pieces to cover the stand unlike a 4x8 sheet of expand metal( my stand will be 5x7). .
                make it 4x8, & use the exp metal. 5' wide is too wide for a pod. Besides that, horse panel is Bush League.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                  make it 4x8, & use the exp metal. 5' wide is too wide for a pod. Besides that, horse panel is Bush League.
                  Frame is made, I will have pictures tomorrow, it's looking good, I do another it will be 4 by 6.

Comment

Skull, you took the constructive critisim well. Good luck with the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullworks52 View Post
                      Frame is made, I will have pictures tomorrow, it's looking good, I do another it will be 4 by 6.

Comment

Working...
                      X