Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love my Stihl but wouldn't buy one used. I know what MINE has been thru! Get the Stihl MC 250 Eazy Crank (I think that is the part number). You just halfway pull the cord 2-3 times & it almost cranks itself.

Evaluating used chainsaws effectively is TOUGH.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
        Honestly, since chainsaws can be at the verge of death and you'd often not know, I'd play it safe, and go with a new one, and an Echo at that. The little bit more upfront will pay you dividends of warranty and peace of mind. I found my 14" at Home Depot for only $199 - worth. every. penny.
        Ok the echo sold at Home Depot is not the same echo sold at a power equipment store. Home Depot says to echo, hey I need u to build me a chain saw and its price point needs to be X. Echo will then change ( cut out quality) things up until they can produce a saw at that price point. Not bashing your purchase. Just FYI. Not all equipment is equal because of the name tag on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
          Ok the echo sold at Home Depot is not the same echo sold at a power equipment store. Home Depot says to echo, hey I need u to build me a chain saw and its price point needs to be X. Echo will then change ( cut out quality) things up until they can produce a saw at that price point. Not bashing your purchase. Just FYI. Not all equipment is equal because of the name tag on the side.
          Wow, I didn't know that! Mine is the CS-310 model, and seems to have awesome reviews.

Comment

I found ou the hard way. Owned a landscape company and thought wow mccoys wants 500 bucks for theirs and I can get this one for 200. And a year later I was buying new equipment. but this again was commercial use by " employees" that have no care how the equipment was treated. My absolute favorite chain saw is the 99 dollar green poulon. It's so light and cheap and really is tough. Not the poulon pro the generic plain Jane green one. It's not for felling large trees, not sexy an smooth, but its light, reliable, and can run it all day with out killing your back. Had one on the crew for 5 years! The motor started getting harder to start, the bar started throwing chains and all te fuel lines primer bulbs rotted out. Trashed it and spent another 100 for another one. For the big stuff it struggled. But for limbimg and processing trees and cutting fire wood it works well. Weird I know, the cheapy out lasted the "name brand" only thing we could come up with it was not as high performance, high tech. Just simple.

Comment

The green one! My fil has the pro" yellow" one. It has " tool less" chain adjustment and more power.... That dang thing throws chains every 20 min it seems like

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                I found ou the hard way. Owned a landscape company and thought wow mccoys wants 500 bucks for theirs and I can get this one for 200. And a year later I was buying new equipment. but this again was commercial use by " employees" that have no care how the equipment was treated. My absolute favorite chain saw is the 99 dollar green poulon. It's so light and cheap and really is tough. Not the poulon pro the generic plain Jane green one. It's not for felling large trees, not sexy an smooth, but its light, reliable, and can run it all day with out killing your back. Had one on the crew for 5 years! The motor started getting harder to start, the bar started throwing chains and all te fuel lines primer bulbs rotted out. Trashed it and spent another 100 for another one. For the big stuff it struggled. But for limbimg and processing trees and cutting fire wood it works well. Weird I know, the cheapy out lasted the "name brand" only thing we could come up with it was not as high performance, high tech. Just simple.
                Very good info!

Comment

Side #2 completed!

Now its time to start framing out the front! It's going to have two horizontal rifle windows like the sides have, plus a vertical bow window in the center.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The frame for the front is coming together nicely. I'm about done for today, but one more session and I'll be ready to put the skin on this one, leaving only the roof and back side. I'm getting excited!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks good. Reminds me of a blind I built in Kerrville several years ago. You will get years of enjoyment out of that!

Comment

Looking good! I may need to make a new blind for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Looks good. Reminds me of a blind I built in Kerrville several years ago. You will get years of enjoyment out of that!
                          Yeah, I'm planning for this thing to last for decades! You'll have to come help me blast hogs and varmints once it's finished!

Originally posted by rbljack View Post
                          Looking good! I may need to make a new blind for next year.
                          If you want any specs, pseudo-blueprints, etc. please let me know and I'll be happy to provide them for ya. This whole thing has been right out of my noggin but I'll gladly sum it all up if you'd like.

Comment

Yeah, I'm planning for this thing to last for decades! You'll have to come help me blast hogs and varmints once it's finished!

If you want any specs, pseudo-blueprints, etc. please let me know and I'll be happy to provide them for ya. This whole thing has been right out of my noggin but I'll gladly sum it all up if you'd like.
                            yes please, that would be great. My time is limited, so having the plans on hand for the build would definitely help me stay efficient and get the project done quicker.

Comment

The frame for the front is coming together nicely. I'm about done for today, but one more session and I'll be ready to put the skin on this one, leaving only the roof and back side. I'm getting excited!
                              I've seen houses built faster than that blind!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                                I've seen houses built faster than that blind!
                                Yeah, between work, spending time with the family, a very busy hunting season, and working on other projects at the ranch, it definitely has not been as quick of a build as I would have preferred, but at least it's getting done right!

With that said....

Comment

Working...
                                X