Bass Buggy Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass Buggy Remodel

I feel a little guilty putting this in DIY, as I'm having some of the work done by experts and I've had plenty of help from friends....but here goes. This is a work in progress, that I'm doing as I can, so I'll update as progress is made.

We have a pretty cool lake on our place near Woodville. My wife likes to fish it, but she doesn't like to fish from kayaks and bank fishing just limits us too much. Back in 2022, I bought a little 17' Sea Ark off of a TBHer's buddy to fish on the lake. It's served us well, but this year I decided to rebuild it into more of what I wanted to use it for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Pic1.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	26773300
    (This pic is not at our lake) As you can see from the pic above, it's a side console with a 40hp Mercury. Has a decent front deck and a small rear deck. Not much storage and the livewell, right in front of the console, didn't work. Foot controlled trolling motor provided plenty of thrust for getting around our lake. Both decks were pretty slick, as anti skid had worn off over the years. Rub rails were nicked and rough edged and cost my wife a HOGG when her line ran across the rail and hit a rough spot and snapped. That was all my fault, she decided.

I decided I wanted to make some changes to make it more fishing friendly for our lake. I planned to make the deck bigger, get rid of everything that we didn't use or need and open some things up.

The first thing I did was remove everything from the boat. The outdated electronics, the trolling motor, the rod holders, the seats, the steering wheel and console and the 40 horse all got removed.

Since I would never in a million years attempt to weld aluminum, I sent the boat over to the brother of a friend of ours that owns a boat shop. He welded up the deck with reinforcement, put in a couple of hatches and gave me what I was looking for. He patched the holes where the motor was mounted. Also had him move trolling motor mount to the center of the bow, instead of offset to the side. I traded him the 40hp Merc (which I'd never cranked) for the metal work, so it was a net zero cost to me. He also ran new wires for the trolling motor and fixed the livewell, without my asking. Good dude.

Name:	Boat Pic4.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	26773301
    (This pic is kind of half finished. Livewell hatch gets recessed and back gets closed with hatch)

Now comes the hard part. I want to repaint the boat and to do that, I decided to get rid of all the paint and the only way I knew to do that was grinders, abrasion wheel and time. Had a lot of help from a couple of folks on this part. The couple that live and work on the farm, used a few rainy days, when nothing else was happening, to help me out or it would have taken me 3x as long in my spare time.

Name:	Boat Pic6.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	26773302 Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Pic5.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	26773303 Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Pic4.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	26773304
    Finished grinding it all yesterday. Got it washed and degreased on the bottom side and getting ready for paint.

I ordered a Light Gray Aluminum paint from TotalBoat.com. Their customer support was helpful in educating me on what I'd need to do to prep and paint the aluminum hull and topside. Paint should be here later this week and I'll be back to the farm in a couple weeks to prep and paint. I then have plans to take it to East Texas Safe Floor, just down the road in Warren to get a new marine floor put on the deck. I plan to install a new iPilot trolling motor with some new electronics. New seats as well.

I have some concerns:
    1. I don't know if taking the weight of the motor off the back will make it sit funky in the water. If so, I'll just add some weight to the back hatch with something.
    2. I don't yet know if I'll need a rudder of some sort in the back. I'm hoping having the trolling motor in the center of the bow, will be enough to have it trail true, but if not, I'll add a removable rudder of some sort.
    Give my your thoughts on these issues.

I'll update as I progress. Thanks for looking.

Following. That’s gonna be a fish getter!

Comment

Depending on the depth of your lake, and how you want to fish , You may consider a power pole in the back to add some weight and you could also lower them some to act as a rudder. they may come in handy if sink some brush piles that you want to fish.

Comment

Wow. Cool project. 👍👍

Comment

I know it wouldn’t be practical, per se, but you need to add something to provide partial shade for the Mrs.

Comment

In to watch.

Comment

Curt...you keep on keeping on and she's gonna change her mind about living in the sticks. Very cool project. My dad bought an aluminum boat before I was born (around 1969 ish) and between me and one of my brothers, we kept it going with cool mods well into the 2000s. Hopefully your grandkids catch fish out of that one day.

Comment

Looks like a cool little project!

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                I have some concerns:
                1. I don't know if taking the weight of the motor off the back will make it sit funky in the water. If so, I'll just add some weight to the back hatch with something.
                2. I don't yet know if I'll need a rudder of some sort in the back. I'm hoping having the trolling motor in the center of the bow, will be enough to have it trail true, but if not, I'll add a removable rudder of some sort.
                Give my your thoughts on these issues.
                1 - Where do you plan to place the battery(ies) for the trolling motor? Might just plan to put them in the back at the transom to help offset the weight balance issues. Without the outboard on the back, you'll probably have some front to back balance issues when standing on the front deck. The batteries will help offset that.

2 - The strakes on the bottom of the hull should be enough to help it track straight, but the above potential balance issues could cause a problem if there is too much weight up front. If the rear of the boat isn't planted in the water the same as the front, then there is less affect from the full length of the strakes.

Comment

Following, your off to a good start!

Comment

Awesome project!

My bet is that it is going to wander a bit without the motor. Not necessarily the weight, but the absence of the lower unit in the water. I only say this because that's how most boats are if you are running the TM with the motor trimmed out of the water. Seems like the back end tries to outrun the front (now that I think of it, the absence of the motor weight might solve this issue). Should be as simple as building a rudder for it. Or, as stated, the power pole idea is great and they make basically a drift sock type paddle for them now.

Whatever you do, don't forget the 16" livescope screen!

Comment

Nice!! Good Job!

Comment

subbed, this should be good!

Comment

Following along!

Comment

That looks pretty cool. I've always wanted to deck one completely and make a skiff, like a Scandy White.

Comment

I doubt it will have any issues tracking without a motor. I fished a bass boat for miles with the motor raised up. Now it may not drift straight but the troller will pull it correctly. A person on the back will help with any weight loss but it appears it has a decent beam and that extra aluminum will help off set it some. I wouldnt mess with a rudder if it were me.

Not that it does you any good now but this stuff is magic when stripping paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	61UjPK1JneL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	26774324 Eventually Im gonna strip my tin can and paint. I'll use this when I do

Comment

Working...
                              X