No announcement yet.

Bass Buggy Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're gonna want a rudder, the wind will blow the back end around, and it will "drift" without the rudder.

I would definitely try to keep any added weight in the back to compensate for the missing motor. Be sure to mount the troling motor batteries and the cooler back there.

A little tiller steer outboard could solve both problems, and provide a little insurance in case the TM craps out while momma is fishing.

Awesome project, that will be a fishing machine! Tell momma to keep her line off the rub rail.

Comment

This is a very cool project - absolutely following along. I know absolutely nothing about boats, but am intrigued by the boat projects everyone does on here. One question, did your experience designing rat traps help prepare you for this in any way?

Comment

(A little tiller steer outboard could solve both problems, and provide a little insurance in case the TM craps out while momma is fishing.)

This is a good idea.

Comment

Both sides are right on the “steering question”. It can be done, and will work with nothing hanging off the back, but will track way better with added weight back there, and even better with a lower unit tagging behind with it in the “straight” position. I just know on my 15’ jon boat, if there are two of us towards the front, outboard out of water, with gas/batteries at the back, we would chase our tail all day running the trolling motor, unless we dropped the motor back down. Like I said, it’ll “work” cuz it did for Quackerbox, but a light aluminum boat sits different in the water than a glass bass boat with heavier motor on back. Even with that motor raised out of the water. I redid my jon boat from the trailer up a few years back, and I’m enjoying this project Curt! You’re doing a great job! I had to hand sand mine to bare aluminum as well, pretty good chore! Good Huntin (and Fishin) and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
            (A little tiller steer outboard could solve both problems, and provide a little insurance in case the TM craps out while momma is fishing.)

This is a good idea.

This is a possibility.

Paint came in yesterday and I'm headed back to the ranch next week.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
              Looks like a cool little project!

1 - Where do you plan to place the battery(ies) for the trolling motor? Might just plan to put them in the back at the transom to help offset the weight balance issues. Without the outboard on the back, you'll probably have some front to back balance issues when standing on the front deck. The batteries will help offset that.

2 - The strakes on the bottom of the hull should be enough to help it track straight, but the above potential balance issues could cause a problem if there is too much weight up front. If the rear of the boat isn't planted in the water the same as the front, then there is less affect from the full length of the strakes.
              Batteries are going in back. Heck, I could throw a couple of sacks of Sac-Crete in the back hatch if I wanted too.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

Batteries are going in back. Heck, I could throw a couple of sacks of Sac-Crete in the back hatch if I wanted too.
                Just sit in the back while your wife fishes the front! No insinuations here

Comment

wanting to do something lke this myself

Comment

wakeboard/wakesurf guys use bricks of lead. Cleaner, smaller option.

why don’t you just sit back there, drive the boat and remove fish? Generally how it goes in my house.

Comment

This bass cat I bought for the lake the guy I got it from filled the fuel tanks with water to add weight so it would be more stable and level in the water. I fished it yesterday and it works er great. Just a option of the fuel tank is in there.

Comment

Cool work going on this one!!!

Comment

I’ll start painting as soon as I have a day without rain.

Comment

Any day now......

Comment

....and still waiting.

Comment

It will be too hot to fish by the time this project is complete.

Comment

Working...
                                X