Thanks and good luck with yours too!

Comment

Originally posted by Pig Popper View Post
      Thanks and good luck with yours too!
      b

Silent Assassin = Swine's Nemesis

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Tick View Post
        You will need to degrease it. Use the clear dawn with water, about 2 cups dawn to 5 gallons water. Try to keep it heated around 115-120. It can take a while for the process to complete.
        What he said...and by a while its best to do it for about a week, change out teh water, do it again for a week, and change...etc etc. About 4 weeks or more is necessary to get all the grease out. If you dont do this, the peroxide will whiten the skull, but before long....the grease spots will show up as yellow in the skull. Hope this helps....good luck. Also, be sure to keep all the teeth and use a container where you can collect them. As you degrease the teeth will loosen and fall out. Usually the first ones to come loose and fall out are the small ones along the front of the top and bottom jaws. Its also not uncommon for the bottom jaw to come apart at the seam after a long degreasing process. I use a two part epoxy to glue them back together when that happens, and I use a quick drying glue like a super glue for the teeth to hold them back in.

Silent Assasin....those hog skulls are about the GREASIEST skulls to try and get whitened. the degrease process will take a long time on those....so dont rush that part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rbljack View Post
          What he said...and by a while its best to do it for about a week, change out teh water, do it again for a week, and change...etc etc. About 4 weeks or more is necessary to get all the grease out. If you dont do this, the peroxide will whiten the skull, but before long....the grease spots will show up as yellow in the skull. Hope this helps....good luck. Also, be sure to keep all the teeth and use a container where you can collect them. As you degrease the teeth will loosen and fall out. Usually the first ones to come loose and fall out are the small ones along the front of the top and bottom jaws. Its also not uncommon for the bottom jaw to come apart at the seam after a long degreasing process. I use a two part epoxy to glue them back together when that happens, and I use a quick drying glue like a super glue for the teeth to hold them back in.

Silent Assasin....those hog skulls are about the GREASIEST skulls to try and get whitened. the degrease process will take a long time on those....so dont rush that part of it.
          ^^^^^ this is right. What I do right out of the bug box is go ahead and do a 6-8hr peroxide soak. The peroxide attacks any biological material on the skull and will do a good job of showing you were the grease spots are at. I grease from there!

Comment

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post
            Oh and not sure what peroxide you will use but I use Volume 40 purchased from a Sallys solon. Brushed on and left to dry in the sun. Works very well.
            I agree with this - the skull will shine right up!

Comment

Originally posted by rbljack View Post

Really? Good to know. What kind of container do you use to put it in?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post

Whatever you have available. Plastic bucket, tote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post

I use an old cooler with a lid and then put a fish tank aqariurm heater in there to keep the temp around 90 or so...but a little hotter is even better. I have the whole process on here somewhere..let me see if i can find it.

Here ya go, just dont do the Modge Podge step....over time it did yellow. I leave them alone now and dont coat them. I can always whiten them up again if they need it.
                  Last edited by rbljack; 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Tick View Post
                    That volume 40 is only about 12% peroxide. You can go to the pool supply store and get some stuff called baquacil oxidizer, it is 27% peroxide and works like you can't imagine.
                    I may try that next time Blue Tick Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                    X