Coyote skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote skull

I have a coyote skull i'm fixing up and was wondering if it is necessary to degrease it before it soaks in the peroxide. This is my first bleaching project, so I'll take anything I can get! I'll try to post some pics when its done.

Get as much grease out of the skull as you can--that will help prevent yellowing down the road.

Comment

Yes, I would think any skull needs degreasing prior to peroxide.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack but what do you use to degrease and what is the process?

Comment

Im pretty sure you can just use strong dish soap to degrease it

Comment

You will need to degrease it. Use the clear dawn with water, about 2 cups dawn to 5 gallons water. Try to keep it heated around 115-120. It can take a while for the process to complete.

Comment

Yep I use the blue dawn in my boiling pot. Works well.

Comment

Oh and not sure what peroxide you will use but I use Volume 40 purchased from a Sallys solon. Brushed on and left to dry in the sun. Works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post
                  Oh and not sure what peroxide you will use but I use Volume 40 purchased from a Sallys solon. Brushed on and left to dry in the sun. Works very well.
                  That volume 40 is only about 12% peroxide. You can go to the pool supply store and get some stuff called baquacil oxidizer, it is 27% peroxide and works like you can't imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post
                    Oh and not sure what peroxide you will use but I use Volume 40 purchased from a Sallys solon.
                    Thats what I have

Comment

re boil with clean water and dawn soap will cut the grease great

Comment

It's soaking in clear dawn now!

Comment

Originally posted by Pig Popper View Post
                          It's soaking in clear dawn now!
                          Cool....try to keep it heated to around 115-120 if possible. Helps the detergent work better and pull that grease out.

Comment

Alright thanks much!

Comment

Awesome find! Im gonna try it for my hog's skull. Good luck with yours.

Silent Assassin = Swine's Nemesis

Comment

Working...
                              X