No announcement yet.

Damascus Knife Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good looking knife right there!

Comment

Originally posted by kahowell1 View Post
      The edge and the grind are not necessarily the same thing. I free hand the grinds. I try to leave about 1/32" of material on the edge at this point.Then I heat treat, etch it, assemble the handle etc. I sharpen the edge as the final step. I have used Lansky sharpeners in the past and have been pleased. However, I have now switched to sharpening with my grinder to put convex edges on all my blades. I start with 320 grit and then proceed through 400 grit, 900 grit, 1200 grit, 2500 grit, 4500 grit and then finish on a felt belt loaded with polishing compound. This produces a mirrored edge that is scary sharp. There are a lot of other methods out there. That is just what works for me.
      Thanks. I'm working in getting my shop together and then want to pick up knives as a hobby. I working on soaking up all the knowledge I can before then. I know most everything learned is by trial and error, but talkin to you guys helps build my base

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Howdy Keith, Just a follow up on the skinning knife you made for my buddy down near Palacios, TX. He has used it several times & LOVES IT! Said it was his first Damascus knife. THANK YOU for producing such a piece of artistry. I think that Santa is going to bring one to me this year, since the wife told me I should buy one for myself! Will contact you by PM to set it all up.

THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

I'm glad he likes it. I enjoy working on them.

Comment

Do you have a web site so I can see your knifes?

Comment

I have a website and a Facebook Page where you can view some of the knves I've done in the past.

Howell Cutlery is committed to offering high quality knives suitable for collection or use.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

thank u for the information Is because I used a ovenheat oven to heat my blade

Comment

Got the info trying to decide what I want.......Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X